Live interview with RON HOCK about "The Perfect Edge" Thursday night.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
If you're interested, drop in or catch it later on YouTube.

IMG_20210331_140111.png
IMG_20210331_140035.png

I would be preferable if you posted the actual link to the Zoom meeting instead of a picture of the link in the future.

some interesting thoughts in there. A2 can be harder to sharpen with certain media, but not due to chromium and any modern sharpening stones. Its issue is poor edge stability due to the large carbides - you can make it just as sharp, but a large carbide will leave the edge.

IT will actually feel a little bit sharper off of 1 micron diamonds than O1, but I don't know why for sure. V11 will feel a little bit sharper yet. I think it's chromium making the steel a bit more slick.

Some mixing and matching of terms like toughness and abrasion resistance.

Ron hit on what's probably the primary reason of A2 - it's easier for manufacturers to use. The edge retention is only marginally better, and not in proportion to abrasion by abrasives, but the idea that it was much longer wearing than O1 is based mostly on differences in hardness. I've tested carbon steel (not O1, but like water hardening), O1 and A2 - O1 will plane 4 feet for every 5 that A2 does at similar hardness.

Ron also mentioned something I've said here - at 33 degrees, the edge holds up better (he's talking specifically about A2, but that's true for all).

I couldn't gather anything about his personal preference for steel as he seems like a maker of steel, but not a maker of steel who is an avid side user.

Rob Lee freely says in the open "rob lee the woodworker likes O1. Rob lee the manufacturer likes the stability of V11 in heat treat".

(if someone uses an older blade of carbon steel, not O1, but plainer than O1, which generally planes 3 feet for every 4 of O1, then the jump to A2 probably seems like more of an improvement in edge retention).

Back