Live centre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":2bezdmiy said:
What method are you using for the drilling? I never go off centre when freehand drilling.
I held finished bobbin in Sorby chuck. Drill bit in chuck in tail stock wound it in a bit until engaged then slid whole tailstock forwards. The one that went wrong was when the chuck came loose so won't make that mistake again. :roll:
How else, any suggestions?

Ready to go:
IMG_2874 copy.JPG

Bigger hole! So obvious, and solved flying timber problem! And meant more pressure for faster waste removal
IMG_2868 copy.JPG

Roughed out
IMG_2875 copy.JPG

End one finished then cut off. Possibly a mistake might have been easier to cut them all off first and do each one separately
IMG_2877 copy.JPG

The collection so far:
IMG_2883.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2875 copy.JPG
    IMG_2875 copy.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2877 copy.JPG
    IMG_2877 copy.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2868 copy.JPG
    IMG_2868 copy.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2874 copy.JPG
    IMG_2874 copy.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 188
Drill bit goes in the chuck, start with the shortest you have. Centre mark goes on the tailstock and you wind the tailstock forward onto the spinning drill bit. Go to full depth then flip it around and do the other side. Switch to longer drill bit and repeat.
Do not wear gloves!

Obviously batch it out, do all the holes with one size drill bit, then switch, adjust tailstock and go again.

If you do this method properly you will have a perfectly centred hole from both end that will meet in the middle.

Rorschach":30qokdle said:
Drill bit goes in the chuck, start with the shortest you have. Centre mark goes on the tailstock and you wind the tailstock forward onto the spinning drill bit. Go to full depth then flip it around and do the other side. Switch to longer drill bit and repeat.
Do not wear gloves!

Obviously batch it out, do all the holes with one size drill bit, then switch, adjust tailstock and go again.

If you do this method properly you will have a perfectly centred hole from both end that will meet in the middle.
So drill bit spins but bobbin still, hand held with other end on tail stock? Have I got that right?

what is the limit on drill size for this method? is it just twist drills that are suitable, I presume that flat bits would be a bit grabby?

I regularly used 10mm - 12mm without any problem other than the drift associated with drilling into end grain - flat bits would snatch badly, I would think. I've not yet found any circumstance where a flat bit is better than an alternative, so don't use them.

This all looks a bit long winded to turn a bobbin.
Cut length
Drill hole
Mount on lathe (using appropriate drive centre)
Turn

Andy

toolsntat":24aehahp said:
This all looks a bit long winded to turn a bobbin.
Cut length
Drill hole
Mount on lathe (using appropriate drive centre)
Turn

Andy
You could be right. I though trying to do as far as possible in one piece might be quicker.

Jacob":3qxjfwuq said:
Rorschach":3qxjfwuq said:
Do not wear gloves!

So drill bit spins but bobbin still, hand held with other end on tail stock? Have I got that right?

That's it. Not too firm a grip on the wood so if it grabs you won't be hurt. You soon learn that it's perfectly safe if it does grab as it is spinning true and is secured at both ends.

marcros":3sgqcqyc said:
what is the limit on drill size for this method? is it just twist drills that are suitable, I presume that flat bits would be a bit grabby?

Yes no flat bits for this method. Twist drills work fine, the key is to step up in size gradually, same goes for length. Forstner bits work fine too up to a point.

This method is best suited to long narrow holes that are prone to wandering using traditional methods. It is also ideal for drilling non symmetrical objects that you couldn't put in a chuck such as natural sticks, bamboo, horn, antler etc.

AndyT":1v725xs6 said:
Veering off onto the question of how bobbins used to be made in bulk... If you are ever up in the Lakes, try and visit Stott Park Bobbin Mill.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/vis ... bbin-mill/

I've not yet been myself, but I'm told it's really good. (Also have a look for YouTube videos of it.)
Oddly enough - I have been wondering about how they were made and, amazing coincidence, off to the lakes tomorrow! Camping near Coniston. So will have a look and take some snaps.
Just the place for a rainy day - several are on the way.
Thanks for the link.

AndyT":2ewpxqsu said:
Veering off onto the question of how bobbins used to be made in bulk... If you are ever up in the Lakes, try and visit Stott Park Bobbin Mill.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/vis ... bbin-mill/

I've not yet been myself, but I'm told it's really good. (Also have a look for YouTube videos of it.)

Amazing, I realise it's just a working museum but I didn't know there were still working lineshafts with all the belts still in use in this country, shame it not ran on a steam boiler but it must be one hell of a motor starting all of that. It's extraordinary how innovative the machinery was even 100 years ago, designed to do it's task exactly.

[youtube]tUvvkh1XP4A[/youtube]

Back