Little wins....!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the thread and radio 2 share your little wins...!

Today mine was finally setting up the outside DX to the table saw. Using a home made chute under the ts. No more dust in workshop from the ts.

Also a little joint making for a side table..

Attachments

• IMG-20220423-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20220423-WA0011.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 144
My little win yesterday was riding 14 Km on my road bike.

Four and a half weeks ago I was broadsided by a car. It cut across in front of me and, as I have no recollection of it, the police think I hit the front bumper at somewhere between 10 and 20 MPH. Thankfully, nothing was broken as my helmet saved me from head injuries and their windscreen absorbed much of my momentum. My bike was written off. It's been several weeks with an osteopath and me nursing bruising all over and the psychological fear of venturing out again. However, yesterday was a little win.... well, a big win really.

Four and a half weeks ago I was broadsided by a car. It cut across in front of me and, as I have no recollection of it, the police think I hit the front bumper at somewhere between 10 and 20 MPH. Thankfully, nothing was broken as my helmet saved me from head injuries and their windscreen absorbed much of my momentum. My bike was written off. It's been several weeks with an osteopath and me nursing bruising all over and the psychological fear of venturing out again. However, yesterday was a little win.... well, a big win really.
Well done!

That's my big fear of road biking - have a big crash!

But there again I could have a acident in the workshop or a stress fracture out running.

Glad your able to get your mind round it and get back out! Quiet roads I guess?

Well done!

That's my big fear of road biking - have a big crash!

But there again I could have a acident in the workshop or a stress fracture out running.

Glad your able to get your mind round it and get back out! Quiet roads I guess?

Thanks Jameshow,

I've been road riding, 100 to 200Km typically per week for the past three years or so with only a minor slip on some black ice the winter before last. I was on route to a club meet and, in a few seconds, I was face down on the asphalt and somebody was calling an ambulance. Things can change in a heart beat. My wife worries about me cycling but appreciates the pleasure I get and how it keeps me fit and healthy. It's the same for me really.

Yesterday, I did pick quieter roads and before the masses were up. I hope to go out again this morning, similar plan, hopefully slightly longer. The psychology was easier to get over than I expected. If anything it was harder to drive my car the first time. I did that about ten days after the accident and I was really cautious. I think nothing of that now.

In three and a half weeks, assuming exchange takes place this week, we will be moving to rural Devon. I hope to get the majority of my fitness back so that I can join the local club, keep up with the riders and deal with the hillier terrain. Hopefully there, the traffic levels will be lower and people may be more considerate.

Where abouts in Devon?

I'm often in the hartland area.

Yes the roads are quieter but the drivers drive faster and there is often less visiblity around tall banks and hedges.

However further south towards Dartmoor it gets less so.

I'm planning on a mini tour of Devon leaving my van in Exeter riding across Dartmoor and up to hartland day two head east across Exmoor to Exeter.....

Nice - there are some steep hills around there I remember from the lejog a couple of years ago.

There a special route called Robs passage that avoids most of them west to east. Might be named after Robgul I'm not sure...

Minor win (big grin).
Marking up (roughly?) dark wood with pencil... and the marks disappear?
Found a fine white marker! Works a dream, and even cleans off!

Opening my jaw almost halfway, my surgery was only 6 days ago, the surgeon said it could take 2 weeks, a few more days and I think I'll be able to start biting into foods and reduce the liquid diet, might not sound like much but after a month of not being able to eat solid food it's a huge thing for me, I love food and can't wait to eat instead of drink everything.

Today making a c. 160 mm dia Elm bowl on the lathe, did it all with a 3/8 bowl gouge at 1500 rpm, didn't resort to scraper once, no catches no uncontrolled movement of gouge, nice finish, minimal sanding.

Now, that's a little thing to an experienced Woodturner but first time for me so major feel-good factor.

It's been several weeks with an osteopath and me nursing bruising all over and the psychological fear of venturing out again. However, yesterday was a little win.... well, a big win really.
Horrendous!! sounds like a really lucky escape. I hope you continue to recover to full fitness and get back to your usual mileage. I keep off the roads as much as possible now.

Very nice and neat James
:cool:
Same joint as on a table i did. A small writing desk in cherry. I added a bit of reinforcement below, M&T'd in to give it max strength.
DSCF3124.JPG

Jameshow,
I did my advanced m/training all around there......stunning but to tough for a bike.....well for me anyway...
sure miss that part of the world.....
dont miss the rain and cold tho......hahaha....oh and the flooding.....
now live on a hill and mostly warm in winter.....
dont know how u do it......

congratulations Ian on getting back into the saddle.

I quit cycling some 7 years ago due to the number of near misses I was having every time I ventured out . I do hope that the driver was prosecuted under the new legislation...not that I personally believe that it is likely to make any difference whatsoever to some inconsiderate and belligerent drivers on our roads.

congratulations Ian on getting back into the saddle.

I quit cycling some 7 years ago due to the number of near misses I was having every time I ventured out . I do hope that the driver was prosecuted under the new legislation...not that I personally believe that it is likely to make any difference whatsoever to some inconsiderate and belligerent drivers on our roads.

The Police told me that she is being held 100% to blame and will probably end up on a driver awareness course. Luckily, I'd kept my bike insurance running and they promptly paid out (and funded a replacement bike). I have legal cover too and this has been a little slower: I'm just clocking up bills for osteopathic work as well as dental and gear replacement. They should pay out, at some stage, or so they say. As the police were involved, it has an incident number and the insurers have said that they will pursue costs through the other party.

Back