little Friday afternoon treat.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry the piccies are not as sharp as usual, but they are from my blackberry. Thought I would share with you my freshly restored Type 15 number 4, sporting the rather gorgeous IBC matched set of iron and chipbreaker. These surely are a work of art and have the most amazing feel of quality. Just a few strokes on the 3 grades of lapping film and a lovely mirror finish on the iron and breaker. I had to spend a couple of minutes making the mouth wider, but it was no trouble. And it goes as well as it looks......

019.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

I will certainly be buying this product again.

Hope you all enjoyed,

Cheers, Mark

The Cosman combo is a really good system. The finish is outstanding and it outperforms anything else I have used, and the cutting edge lasts ages between honing.

I was just watching Cosman's youtube video about these irons last night. It's quite a laugh that whenever he mentions "Lie Nielsen" his words have to be dubed out. Nice plane by the way.

Just watched the video, looks good. Anyone ever tried to make their own plane blades though?

woodpig":3f9nhaoe said:
Just watched the video, looks good. Anyone ever tried to make their own plane blades though?

I have made a few plane irons, simply because of the unusual sizes I require.

I use 01 steel...hardened in an enamel kiln and then tempered in an oven

They work fine.

Get Tubal Cain's book on Hardening,Tempering and Heat Treating.

It's less than a fiver and worth ten times that much. What he doesn't know about traditional steel hardening isn't worth knowing!

Jim

Thanks for the comments guys, amazing how nice some of these old beauties come up and nicely they work, especially with a decent iron in them. I would love to know the life story of my old tools, just imagine what they have seen and where they have been, and all the peoples hands before who have cherished them and used them to make who knows how many different things....

Back