Little b45t4rd5 on e-scooters...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What may offend one person may just be like water off a ducks back to someone else,
It may indeed. We all have different tastes, find different things nice, nasty, tasteful, tacky, funny, offensive, clever, stupid....

it all depends how receptive to being offended they are or maybe it is something they switch on / off to suit their needs.
The question is do you care if you are being offensive to someone, do you like to go out of your way to be deliberately offensive, and do you actually believe that nobody can ever, genuinely be offended by anything and that if they say they are it's all an act?

I would say that you are probably young, too young to have lived the seventies or eighties so do not really know what offence really is.
I advise you not to say that, unless you want to be wrong.

They were when anything went and people said what they thought, maybe someone got offended but once the spat was over it was shake hands and back to normal, all forgotten with
No - I don't think that people who were abused, insulted, discriminated against, because of the colour of their skin or their sexual orientation, for example, forgot about it.

How many examples of failed defences that we see to this day along the lines of "it was just bantz" do you have to witness before you get it?

unlike today where it is almost like a badge of honor to be offended and complain to anyone who will listen.
A badge eagerly clamoured after by some people here who complain because they won't even tolerate simple, reasonable, questions.

One of the problems is even if you wanted to It can be difficult to comply with the latest dogma because it changed so frequently.
A deliberate ploy by those bitterly opposed to fairness, being nice, being polite, being liberal, being tolerant, being told that they shouldn't be gratuitously offensive, etc.

I well recall in maybe the early 90's walking into a coffee shop in London and asking for a black coffee, I was told quite forcefully that no I could not have such a thing I could have a coffee without milk if I liked.
If that did actually happen, whose fault do you think it was?

Fast forward to now and black is a perfectly acceptable term.
Not if it preceeds "b*****d".

Seriously - black coffee, black ink, black paint - usage like that has always been acceptable, and if you ever thought it wasn't then you were being fooled by people opposed to progressive, liberal, changes in society.

When I talk about these things with my black friends, most of whom are much younger, they find it quite funny the verbal gymnastics we had to go through in the beggining of the PC era.
Nowhere near as funny as I find the people who ever believed any of that nonsense.

I was genuinely hon smacked to see that queer is now an acceptable term used by gay people, doesn't seem that long ago you would have been lynched for even contemplating the use of the word.
I disagree with the principle that some people are allowed to use certain words but other people aren't.

And God forbid you should use any gender specific term like lollipop lady, or postman/postwoman. It seems to me at any rate that the term postperson, for example, has a very cold impersonal ring to it. Who actually finds these terms offensive, not the people to whom they refer, in my experience anyway.
Mostly it is people who have been brainwashed by those opposed to progressive, liberal, changes in society who have entirely confected the idea that the words are offensive as a ploy to discredit the whole idea of Political Correctness.

Covid and all of the Government's response around the world caused a reaction.

Financially, biologically, intellectually and, social patterns affected.

Lila: Robert M. Pirsig
'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was like a first child. Maybe that will always be the best-loved one. But this second child is the bright one. I think a lot of people will argue with some of the ideas in Lila. There may be controversy. But if people are still reading these two books a hundred years from now, I predict Lila will be the one they consider the more important' --Robert M. Pirsig

Been out with my trusty Labrador earlier, and had to get out of the way of 2 teens on one e-scooter.
On the pavement - which is an offence - and they made it quite clear that we were going to have to get out of their way...
The Lab reacted as you'd expect, and had a bark at them as I ushered him on to the grass verge.
The teens also reacted as you'd expect, shouting something about keeping my "effing dog under control...."
It's times like these you hope for a cop to appear - and lo and behold, a squad car cruised into view.

....and simply drove past.
Hello,
Here in Portsmouth there is a Millenium Walkway ......and what is Portsmouth CC intending.....to install a e-scooter take off zone on the Walkway, so pedestrians beware......

A deliberate ploy by those bitterly opposed to fairness, being nice, being polite, being liberal, being tolerant, being told that they shouldn't be gratuitously offensive, etc.

If that did actually happen, whose fault do you think it was?

Not if it preceeds "b*****d".

Seriously - black coffee, black ink, black paint - usage like that has always been acceptable, and if you ever thought it wasn't then you were being fooled by people opposed to progressive, liberal, changes in society.

Nowhere near as funny as I find the people who ever believed any of that nonsense.

I disagree with the principle that some people are allowed to use certain words but other people aren't.

Mostly it is people who have been brainwashed by those opposed to progressive, liberal, changes in society who have entirely confected the idea that the words are offensive as a ploy to discredit the whole idea of Political Correctness.
I swore to myself that I would not be drawn into further conversation with you, and this will be the last time, but you really do take things too far. Over the last couple of threads we have participated in you have called me a racist, and now a liar. And you have the nerve to talk about people being gratuitously offensive. If you want to engage in conversation with people a good first step would be to try and be less obnoxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back