Literary Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Not being a reader of The Times myself credit for spotting this has to go to my esteemed Mother. Scroll down to Philip Pullman's list. I think we can safely deduce he's more Normite than Neander (belt sander - <shudder>).
biggrin.gif
I was wondering if he could be a lurker here, but then I read the comment about jigs. It must be Tony all along!
laugh.gif

Cheers, Alf

Alf

That's a shocker! Never would have guessed PP as a budding woodworker! Seems more relevant since I'm just reading his second book in the NL trilogy. And he wants to present a w/working show on Sky - good luck to him! Not sure about some of his choices - but each to their own.

Good find Alf's Mum.

Cheers

Gidon

Alf,

Please convey my thanks to your Mum. I had no idea Philip Pullman was a woodworker of any sort, let alone a keen one. With his contacts, he may just pull off his TV ambition too.

He must be Tony's separated-at-birth twin, Alf - Tony would never say that his favourite plane was a Record :lol:

I was very upset to read that there are second hand tool stalls on Gloucester Green market - all those years living in Oxford, and I never knew! :shock:

NeilCFD

Personally, I think you can have too much of tools sometimes! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now Ian Rankin's choice of music... some very close to my heart! The Skids (top jocks!), U2 (preferably earlier rather than some of the later pretentiousness that goes with fame!) Hawkwind (some top tunes, and it spawned Motorhead, so gets my vote) Rolling stones (early stuff again...) Fantastic! BJH and Mogwai are a bit dubious in my eyes though!
Perhaps we ought to do a top 10 bands or songs thread...

I'll get me coat... :D

Andy

Not sure about Ian Rankins music tastes, but he can certainly write a good detective novel. Mind you, with the last two or three Rebus novels I find I get more from reading them a second time a few months later, whereas the earlier novels were consistently good. Perhaps a top 10 author thread to go alongside your music one?

I have never read any Phillip Pullman, having never been able to decide what age group they are targetted at - are they worth a go?

Steve.

Up there compley with Andy, not bad choices at all

ok ok, ill get me coat to

Signal

Hi Steve,

The 'Northern Lights' books were greeted as children's books when they came out, but upon closer inspection (ie. actually reading them) they simply feature children as a couple of the major characters and are certainly not what most people would consider children's books in content.
A brilliant series, some truly spectacular concepts and writing.

Just MHO of course.

V.

Neil":2ogozmmg said:
He must be Tony's separated-at-birth twin, Alf - Tony would never say that his favourite plane was a Record :lol:

NeilCFD

Thank you Neil :lol:

Phillip Pullman - Philly........

top ten songs and books?

Last year we got all of the (extended) family to choose their 12 fav tracks and compile a CD of them. Played them all night new year's eve :lol:

Tony,

we did the desert island disks thing for my BIL's 40th this year

Took me 4 months to choose my 3 tracks and I still changed my
mind 20 minutes before the party :oops:

Signal

I used to be indecisive but now im not so sure :wink:

Latest posts

Back