Listening to BBC Radio 4 podcasts in the garden

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO would very much like to be able to listen to some podcasts (of her choosing) from Radio 4 while she is gardening. Portability is essential. Would something like an internet radio work ? I'm struggling to understand how she would locate the podcast that she wanted in the first place with one of these devices.

She would find using an app on her smartphone too clunky.

I'm guessing that she could locate the specific podcast on her iMac, use Chromecast ? Then rush outside before it actually starts....nah, that wouldn't work for her.

Any ideas for I know little about this side of things ?

BBC Sounds App on your preferred device? They advertise it all the time on the BBC radio so I assume that's the thing you're looking for.

I listen to a few through sounds. It would be worth trying it out. If you subscribe to what you like, she would only need to go to "my sounds" to choose an episode to listen to. Searching isn't too bad either.

Could she down load them onto an old I pod?
Having two sons, we seem to have several in drawers that are now discarded.

Mobile phone with BBC app and ear plugs works well, if wifi reaches the garden.
If wifi doesn't reach download them thro the BBC app and replay without wifi.

Brian

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Trevanion":1gr4npxn said:
BBC Sounds App on your preferred device? They advertise it all the time on the BBC radio so I assume that's the thing you're looking for.

I think that requires something like a smartphone or tablet unfortunately.

marcros":1gr4npxn said:
I listen to a few through sounds. It would be worth trying it out. If you subscribe to what you like, she would only need to go to "my sounds" to choose an episode to listen to. Searching isn't too bad either.

Ditto

lurker":1gr4npxn said:
Could she down load them onto an old I pod?
Having two sons, we seem to have several in drawers that are now discarded.

I think she'd find the sound too tinny, TBH. Besides she doesn't know how to download and is reluctant to learn. I could do it for her but she likes the spontaneity of choosing something and doesn't like interrupting me although I've told her countless times that unless I'm doing a 'glue-up' she's more than welcome to.

nev":1gr4npxn said:
1. The BBC sounds app and a portable bluetooth speaker.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/ipr-podcast-download

or
Does you wifi signal reach the garden? if so..

2. any portable 'smart speaker' should do you. Alexi/ Siri/ Google assistant etc
e.g. shout ''google! play bbc4 podcast no.1'' multiple times until it understands you.

1) requires a smartphone or tablet, I think. Besides she'd prefer just one thing to pick up

2) I'd wondered about that but then realised that it wouldn't work for the type o podcasts she listens to...for example Jane Garvey and Fi Glover as it seems quite complex to navigate using a computer and so how something 'smaller' like an internet radio I can't see ...

But having said that, I do have a Google Home kicking around and so could experiment.

Thing is she hates touchscreens !

finneyb":2rdhhelp said:
Mobile phone with BBC app and ear plugs works well, if wifi reaches the garden.
If wifi doesn't reach download them thro the BBC app and replay without wifi.

Brian

She hates her smartphone ! Plus she prefers a loudspeaker.

VVAUR7kLkxyEiAGLzLY8Xo-1024-80.jpg

nev":4wchq7cy said:
provided your wifi reaches the garden.

https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/product ... tream-94i#

if it doesn't then the only option that does not involve 'technology' is running speaker wires out into the garden from whatever you listen to the podcasts with now.

A smart radio, first time I've ever seen one.
Would love to see how the interweb features work.
Damned technology moving way too fast for me. :D

Learn how to use a podcast app for her phone. Super easy to download podcasts to listen too late.

I use podcast addict, one click downloads the podcast, when I have finished listening it automatically deletes it. Always saves my location in each podcast as well.
I use it everyday when I go for my walk.

I have tried to find something similar for my wife but have failed :( we used to use a Google home but the BBC has since stoped supporting Google devices for podcasts, so it will now have to be an Alexa for this to work.

I looked at a Roberts radio but too be honest finding the correct podcast was much harder than using a phone with the BBC app.

The easiest way I found has already been mentioned, a phone and a Bluetooth speaker. The bbc sounds app is ok once you have subscribed to the channels plus you can download the podcasts so you don’t need Wi-fi in the garden.

I’m thinking of making my own “radio” using an old phone, a speaker and an amplifier together with a usb battery pack, build a nice wooden case and then you only have one charger needed and all the cables are hidden in the box. I just need to get round to it....perhaps a Christmas present?

Richard

nev":jxei9pga said:
provided your wifi reaches the garden.

https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/product ... tream-94i#

if it doesn't then the only option that does not involve 'technology' is running speaker wires out into the garden from whatever you listen to the podcasts with now.

Thanks Nev...that might be a possibility as I see it has podcasts in its menu options. I think maybe I need to buy one and check it out and return it if it doesn't.

I've been rethinking this from my wife's perspective. She loves here small transistor radio.I've nursed it, mended it, glued it...even the speaker cone has Copydex holding it together but she likes it!

The user-interface required to get to a required podcast is something that she knows how to do on her computer. Then :idea:

I have somewhere an FM transmitter that I can plug into the back of her computer. Sorted !

If I can find it :(

Latest posts

Back