• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

List of bandsaw for Polls section - review please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i am getting together the list of bandsaws for James. Could you please review this list and let me know which model I have missed and if any model is in the wrong category (I haven't seen a 1/4 of all those so I based my judgment on the size of the machine).

Light
Perform CCB
Perform CCBB
Axminster JBS125
Axminster AWSBS
Draper 190mm
Draper 230mm
Record RSBS8
Record RSBS10
Delta 28185
Delta 40540
Delta 40570
DeWalt DW738

Medium
Axminster SBW3501B
Draper 305mm
Elektra Beckum BAS 250
Elektra Beckum BAS 315
Elektra Beckum BAS 316
Scheppach BASATO3
Jet JWBS14
Record RSBS12
Record RSBS14
Dewalt DW876
Kity 413
Charnwood 720

Heavy
Axminster JBS180L
Axminster JBS 180
Axminster SBW 4300
Axminster SBW 5300
Elektra Beckum BAS 500
Scheppach BASATO5
Kity 613
Startrite 301E
Startrite 351SE
Record BS450

I will update this post as I get your feedback on this thread or by Personal message.
Thanks in advance everyone :wink:

CYC

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
EB 315

Also maybe you should differentiate between Axminster and Jet models as there are small differences, especially to the owners of each machine.

Rgds

Noel

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Warning: Picking of nit alert.

Please can you put the "C" in Scheppach?! :wink:

Also there's the smaller DeWalt (DW738 I think) and I have a horrible feeling Charnwood do some too :shock:

Cheers, Alf

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf I had copied and pasted from a site, didn't notice the missing infamous C :D

Made the changes. Are there no other bandsaw you use out there, I expected to be bombarded with various models, or may be it's still early for the it :D

A

Anonymous

Charnwood 720? Ihave one and would say it is medium duty/size

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok Charley, it looks like noone as any modification to make to the list at this stage. No reply in the last 24 hrs.
So you can take it up to the Polls section at your leisure, it's all yours :D

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Europac SBW4300 very similar to axminster but not ball bearing guides and smaller table width. (axminster only recently updated theirs). Heavy!

Cheers Alan

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Aren't thre some Italian bandsaws?
I recall a Canadian or American forum member mentioning some make begining with L ?

I have still not upgraded my RSBS12 bandsaw because quality of some machines leaves much to be desired these days.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
devonwoody":1vxn6453 said:
Aren't thre some Italian bandsaws?
I recall a Canadian or American forum member mentioning some make begining with L ?
Laguna?

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Dev, Laguna machine are only marketed in North America and not sold anywhere else. But they are actually made in Italy. Essentially it's a re-badging operation. Can't remember which Italian firm it is but if I do I'll let you know.

Noel

Permutation_Jim

Established Member
Reaction score
There are two flavours of Dewalt lite, the DW738 and DW739, which are nearly identical except that the former model sports two speeds while the latter can be adjusted along an axis of speeds (true variable speed).

Both have Elu equivalents (or maybe that's the other way around) called the EBS 3401 and EBS 3501. I bought the 3501 a couple of years ago for £80 used (with fence but no blade or mitre gauge... lousy jerks).

It's done <i>nearly</i> everything I've asked except that the fence is, well it's rubbish (not actually vertically square with the table... WTF?). The aluminium table is not <i>too</i> bad, and while it's little corrigations are helpful in aligning the miserable fence, I prefer a flat top.

Because I've got six blades and don't want to shell out the £300 it would cost for a better one, and because I just like this one, I'm in the process of developing a new flat top to go over the original, inspired by the Mark Duginske design (here).

I'm hoping to use the aftermark fence from Axminster (here) as well as a 3/4" track I brough from my last trip to the US.

If it works, I'll post it. It could be a great way to breath life into a tool when you just "need more," but can't justify the spend.

If it doesn't work then, well, forget I mentioned it.

Thanks, Jim
[/code]