Lipping on oak veneered mdf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Steve maskery kindly designed a desk for me that I am going to be making out of oak veneered mdf. It is using a torsion-box construction and my question relates to vacuum cleaners. :shock: Steve raised this with me, so I can't claim any credit.

At floor level I want to protect the veneer from damage by, say, a vacuum cleaner. My thought was to make the lipping deeper but would this look out of place?

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Neil

PS Steve, I still owe you for that sheet.

I dont think it would look out of place as a plinth if that is what you mean is common place for reception desks and office desks . I once did a tear drop Ash desk for a customer and the plinth painted black made it look like it was floating :D

Hi all

It is going to be a simple desk which will end up at about 45mm thickness. In fact, there will be two identical desks side by side. Think a flat top and two sides. I did say it was going to be simple.

It will be on a beige carpet so I think that would rule out the black idea JFC, but it is that sort of idea that I'm thinking about. If the lipping was, say, 75 mm thick on the sides do you think this would look out of place?

So you would have beige carpet, 75mm oak and then oak veneered mdf.

Tim, sorry about the lack of a plan. It's locked in Outlook and I have a problem with it at the moment.

Thanks
Neil

Tim, i understand what i'm trying to say :? :?

I was trying to ask, how THICK is it going to be :lol:

Andy

Hi Andy

LyNx":268e9oba said:
Neil, you could try a plinth around the bottom. We do this on our classic range and it holds up to the industrial cleaners and there users.

Your classic range looks really good, just what I'm after. Could you please let me know the dimensions of the plinth? (Height and width, top and bottom).

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Neil

Neil, from memory

Slabs 686mm height x 38mm thick

Modesty panel 22mm with 550x30mm stepped sides

Plinth 65x18 with 12x12mm chamfer fitted to slabs

Overtops 38mm with wedge edge detail and single black inlay line (hides the glue line from the exposed lipping)

The one in the photo is swiss pear with a 70mm crossbanding and double inlay line.

Andy

Back