Liogier Hand Stiched Rasp - Pass Around

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
promhandicam":10d4ilp2 said:
Jacob":10d4ilp2 said:
Not sure who would need the pricey Liogier offerings.

Someone who could appreciate their superior cutting ability maybe?
I could appreciate their superior cutting ability (if that is what they have), but it's still only a rasp! I just wondered who would need a superior rasp - who are the uber-raspers? Who needs (would definitely benefit from owning) one? How do they compare to Surforms? I use both, but not very often. Usually for a quick clean up of mortices and/or tenons. There is a thing called a "float" (type of file) but I've never had the pleasure.

Jacob":v51go422 said:
promhandicam":v51go422 said:
Jacob":v51go422 said:
Not sure who would need the pricey Liogier offerings.

I could appreciate their superior cutting ability (if that is what they have), but it's still only a rasp! I just wondered who would need a superior rasp - who are the uber-raspers? Who needs (would definitely benefit from owning) one? How do they compare to Surforms? I use both, but not very often. Usually for a quick clean up of mortices and/or tenons. There is a thing called a "float" (type of file) but I've never had the pleasure.

Maybe you could try it? I am sure you can get added to the pass around list.

Maybe you don't mean them to, but your questions always seem to have a certain edge to them as if anyone who likes this tool is a little bit stupid and not a real pro like you.

cutting42":fg59d64s said:
Jacob":fg59d64s said:
promhandicam":fg59d64s said:

Maybe you could try it? I am sure you can get added to the pass around list.

Maybe you don't mean them to, but your questions always seem to have a certain edge to them as if anyone who likes this tool is a little bit stupid and not a real pro like you.
Well yes I am always a bit dubious about tooly enthusiasm - it's the value for money, not a pro or amateur issue!
But I was thinking about them because I have been making some big windows with 60+ joints. To get the thing together for a dry run, and apart again, it's essential to have all the joints a nice push fit. So I have been easing some of them with block plane, rasp, surform, chisel etc. A better rasp or float could be handy, albeit not essential unless they really are much better than the alternatives.

OK can I go on the list and have a go?

PS or maybe these jap rasps would be what I need, I don't know. topic49492.html

Jacob":23ro4sky said:
Well yes I am always a bit dubious about tooly enthusiasm - it's the value for money, not a pro or amateur issue!

As I have mentioned before, value for money for a pro vs an amateur can be very different. Most amateurs never expect to recoup the costs of their hobby, it is purely a cost justification the same as buying expensive food vs Asda. Both will perform the job of sustenance adequately but the enjoyment of the gourmet food is worth the extra cost to some.

Same with tools, I get a kick out of using some nicely made tools that makes using them a pleasure and this rasp fell into that category.

I spend thousands on mountain bikes that many of my friends don't understand, they see a 120 quid full susser from Halfords and cannot see why you need anything else. Value is totally a subjective quality for an amateur.

As all these posts about the legitimacy of my tools make me a bit uncomfortable, I dare to add my point of view to the discussion. :oops:
I perfectly understand that not every woodworkers need such rasps, and that it is possible to acheive good works using other techniques.
First I have to state that despite the possibility that some person may think these tools are overpriced, the wages of my companions or myself don't make us in an easy position if we were to buy much of these rasps.
Please watch the short video on my website showing how these rasps are made, it shows that the number of hours we spend on each rasp to transform the steel bar into a finished tool having between 5.000 to 10.000 teeth, may justify to you its price. Another justification could also be that there are woodworkers that are appreciating and respecting the efficiency of the tool once they have had the opportunity to actually test it by themselves. This is the reason of this free pass-around test. So, as Gareth offered, I would be glad you join the test.

I don't think you have any need whatever to feel uncomfortable Noel.

Your rasps are beautiful tools and your generosity in creating the passaround for us to have the pleasure of testing them is much appreciated by the majority.

Unfortunately there will always be some who will criticise anything.... :roll:

I personally would like to thank you for the opportunity to try your rasp out and will be getting one for certain jobs I plan once time and finances allow.

Jim

jimi43":e6gmok79 said:
I don't think you have any need whatever to feel uncomfortable Noel.

I agree. Your rasps are of very good quality, Noel, and very good value for money in my view.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Liogier":2ujw478g said:
As all these posts about the legitimacy of my tools make me a bit uncomfortable, I dare to add my point of view to the discussion. :oops:
I perfectly understand that not every woodworkers need such rasps, and that it is possible to acheive good works using other techniques.
First I have to state that despite the possibility that some person may think these tools are overpriced, the wages of my companions or myself don't make us in an easy position if we were to buy much of these rasps.
Please watch the short video on my website showing how these rasps are made, it shows that the number of hours we spend on each rasp to transform the steel bar into a finished tool having between 5.000 to 10.000 teeth, may justify to you its price. Another justification could also be that there are woodworkers that are appreciating and respecting the efficiency of the tool once they have had the opportunity to actually test it by themselves. This is the reason of this free pass-around test. So, as Gareth offered, I would be glad you join the test.

I do not for moment think that you need to justify your product, or it's cost. If your rasp's are good enough (I have yet to test it) they will sell by word of mouth, and from what I have read so far this will not be a problem.

Cheers

Mike

Agree of course. It seems to me everyone on the pass-round was very positive. I have bothered to watch the video and read a lot of the info on the Liogier site. I have some cheap machined rasps and they have a use. But these are quite different - I greatly respect the skill and time that goes into the making, and I vote with my order. Many others will too I am sure. I do not disrespect an opinion about cheaper machined rasps, but I know these are very much better and made with a care and skill that is hard to find.
The only sensible comparison is with Aoriou, and Liogier are about 60% the price (because they sell direct and that isn't something I can do anything about so sorry to the Aoriou retailers).
A very fine product indeed Noel, and a great skill in the making. I suggest you ignore the doubters who after all have never even tried the product.

I'm sure they are excellent. I just wonder whether or not I personally need one. Probably not unless I diversify in some new ways.

Sorry guys but I only got the chance to post the rasp today (Thursday) It has been sent by Special Delivery so Pete will have it today (Fri :oops: oh heck you know what I mean :oops: :oops:) . As for using the rasp, IMHO the best way to show how much you think of a tool is to buy one, especially when you get a discount :lol:

Excellent build quality.

Noel thankyou for the pass around

Cheers

Mike

Pass - Around Latest:

*Jimi43
*Condeesteso
*Promhandicam
*Proshop
*Paul Chapman
*Cutting42
*Mike.C
Cambournepete(with Pete at the moment)
Wood master

(* Tried and passed on)

10% Discount is still running.

Rod

Question - Pete mentioned the WSH rasps (hand-stitched) - how do I compare the 'grain' as they seem to be measured in different ways? Whilst I was very impressed with the Liogier and have ordered two, these are probably worth investigating also (around £25 a time it appears).

We've hit a bit of a problem with the Pass-Around as a badly damaged and empty box arrived with Wood master.

I've asked both Pete and Jas (wood master) to contact their local PO's and initiate a claims procedure?

What a bummer?

Rod

Can I ask, how much is this rasp? I have never seen a rasp cut as clean and have always regarded them as a really rough tool. I own a set of different shaped of the Forge Steel brand and normally I rasp then clean up with the same shaped file then sand paper. From pictures it looks like you can go from rasp to sand paper.

Hudson Carpentry":1w5dz0rk said:
Can I ask, how much is this rasp? I have never seen a rasp cut as clean and have always regarded them as a really rough tool. I own a set of different shaped of the Forge Steel brand and normally I rasp then clean up with the same shaped file then sand paper. From pictures it looks like you can go from rasp to sand paper.

Joel at Tools for Working Wood has just written a piece on his blog about using hand-stiched rasps and how they are good for quite delicate work http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com//Mer ... .html&BG=1 He was using an Auriou rasp for his demonstration but the performance of the Liogier rasps would be just as good.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back