Linseed Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleymonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
This may be a really stupid question - given its widespread use - but here goes...

Can people who have nut allergies be allergic to Linseed Oil?

I have researched online and can't seem to find a clear 100% definite answer (maybe I am looking in the wrong places)

Search for Flax Seed Oil.
Allergy. There is a chance you may have an allergy to flax seeds and flaxseed oil. ... Vomiting and nausea may also be signs of an allergy. See a medical center immediately if your reaction to flaxseed oil causes your throat to tighten or shortness of breath.

Both flaxseed oil and linseed oil are extracted from seeds of the plant Linum usitatissimu. Flaxseed oil is pure and fit for human consumption; linseed oil goes through a refinement process and may contain additives that improve its paint-cleaning properties. Never drink linseed oil.

Linseed oil is a seed oil so I suppose the larger question, which might be easier to look up, is can people who are allergic to nuts also be allergic to seeds? If you want to get even more specific, to flax seeds.

As far as a cured finish on woodwork, as opposed to contact with the liquid oil, I'd presume it's even simpler and there's no chance of an issue. Bar scraping some off and deliberately ingesting it. Maybe. The fact that warnings of a risk aren't plastered everywhere on woodworking sites probably tells us something.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Part of the problem is the actual application. 15-20 boxes, gloves, aprons, cloth, original containers and then any spills onto surfaces or clothing. It's very difficult to contain it to one place and not end up with traces of it everywhere. I wouldn't mind if there were loads of places saying it's safe in all forms / at all stage - as long as you do this one thing.

With children who have peanut allergies. Even when the parents say they are allergic to nuts only - I am not convinced that all of them would have been looking out for flax / seed etc. So can't absolutely rely on them.

You mention Cloths, be aware that Flaxseed/Linseed oil polymerizes to form a skin surface, during this process it generates heat.
Any cloths contaminated with it that are tightly bundled when not in use or discarded may be subject to spontaneous combustion.

Store 'in use' Cloths flat or in an airtight tin or jar.

CHJ":3fvy98cx said:
You mention Cloths, be aware that Flaxseed/Linseed oil polymerizes to form a skin surface, during this process it generates heat.
Any cloths contaminated with it that are tightly bundled when not in use or discarded may be subject to spontaneous combustion.

Good point - thanks for that - this might be a take off site and do it myself job

CHJ":16pu719w said:

I know this to be true (I've seen it on Youtube), but I've tried repeatedly to make it happen and never succeeded. I mean, I've screwed up oily cloths and put them in a box of dry straw, paper and kindling. Nothing. So whilst I don't advocate stupidity, don't sweat over this issue too much (is my view).

Back