Lino printing press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orraloon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been asked to build a printing press as my daughter has taken up lino printing as something to do as we are all locked down again. We may have enough vaccinated by November to be allowed out to play again. From my initial reading on line they need to be quite substantial for anything bigger than playing card size so thinking of using a vice screw in a hardwood frame. May as well go the whole hog. I will point out I cant weld so the frame will have to be wood. The question is has anyone made one or have any previous experience with this.
Regards
John.

Hello John, like you I was tempted to use a vice screw and a solid timber frame but in the end didn't get round to it. Now I just use a Sizzix Bigshot die cutting machine, they do A5 and A4 versions.
There are some interesting designs using a bottle jack from underneath and a frame of 4x2 with ¾" ply for the bed.

Could the pressing be done with a vacuum bag setup? If you can pull a full vacuum you'll get a ton of force for each square foot. What would be the unknown is what effect the vacuum would have on the ink itself, solvents evaporating from it or it being sucked away from where it is wanted.
Pete

I've not made one yet but often think about it. Wood frame and a car jack, scissor or bottle, seem likely but the challenge will be getting even pressure across the whole print area.

There used to be devices called Adana printing presses - a cheap way of printing short runs of business cards and letter heads using traditional type setting before the days of inkjet printers.

As I recall high pressure was not a particular issue - results were influenced more by the quality of the type and application of the ink.

You could experiment with a piece of paper sellotaped to a ply or MDF board to understand the pressure necessary for a given size. You may find that that:
  • a roller rather that a plate will give better results by avoiding the need to equalise pressure across a large plate,
  • if going for multiple passes for different colours ensuring the paper is accurately located.

Thanks for all the feedback and some ideas to take on board. I like the roller idea but I am not set up for complex metal work. Yesterday I took a roller off one of my roller stands to see if it was an option but its not really all that smooth rolling. I also like the bottle jack idea but thats likely to destroy anything I can make in timber thats still light enough for her to lift onto a table. She lives in a flat with no workshop. I was looking at that caulk gun plunger one and if she is only going to do small prints then that could be on the list. I can still go the vice screw one if she wants larger prints. I will spend a few more days snooping the internet to see what else there is on the subject and hopefully gain more insight. I'll put up picks when I get to the build.
Regards
John

Hi,
I have been asked to build a printing press as my daughter has taken up lino printing as something to do as we are all locked down again. We may have enough vaccinated by November to be allowed out to play again. From my initial reading on line they need to be quite substantial for anything bigger than playing card size so thinking of using a vice screw in a hardwood frame. May as well go the whole hog. I will point out I cant weld so the frame will have to be wood. The question is has anyone made one or have any previous experience with this.
Regards
John.
Hi John,
You don’t need a press for lino printing. The usual method is to use a ‘baren’ of which there are many types; they can be made from wood, metal, glass etc. You called even use the back of a spoon. But if you do want to make a press, it doesn’t have to be complicated. Here’s an example of a manual hand press for sale
https://www.jacksonsart.com/manual-lino-woodcut-press-from-fome

Hi John,
You don’t need a press for lino printing. The usual method is to use a ‘baren’ of which there are many types; they can be made from wood, metal, glass etc. You called even use the back of a spoon. But if you do want to make a press, it doesn’t have to be complicated. Here’s an example of a manual hand press for sale
https://www.jacksonsart.com/manual-lino-woodcut-press-from-fome
Hi,
Regards
John.
For under A4 prints, which is plenty big enough for her to start with, you really don’t need a printing press. A wooden spoon will do the job. Especially if she’s just starting out. She may not, after all, take to lino printing. If a press is essential a Sizzix is the best option. You do need both quite a lot of pressure and very smooth and flat surfaces on a lino press. There is a reason why they are expensive! If you insist on building then the bottle Jack or carjack is the most popular handmade option. She should join linocut friends on Facebook. A superb group, friendly, helpful, unpretentious and very, very knowledgeable.

John, I realise you say you are not into metalwork but this site may be worth a look for information, my daughter in law who is a very accomplished artist has purchased one. She works mainly in oils and other mediums but has long hankered after a press to make prints from etchings.
Having seen the machine making one would be fairly easy but you do need at least a welder, lathe and other general hand tools. It’s construction is square steel tube frame and the bed is mdf covered with steel plus reinforcement.
Look here. Etching Press for sale | Buy Etching Printing Presses | Ironbridge Fine Art
John

A flat, kitchen table, space perhaps at a premium, linocut not needing massive pressure, not doing mass production. How about this as a trial:

2 wooden bread boards, same size as one another. When not used as a press they can be used as bread boards :)

A good thick book, perhaps a cookery book if you are in the kitchen, must be smaller than the breadboards. Sole purpose of book is to make room for a clamp head under the bottom board.

Put book on table, board on book, the inked Lino cut and paper go next, second board on top, use 2 (or luxury 4?) quick release clamps on the edges to apply pressure. Something like this:

https://www.toolstation.com/irwin-quick-grip-mini-2-pack/p70766
A possible add on would be to clamp the 2 boards together then drill (6,8,10mm?) through both at 2 opposed corners and have 2 push fit dowels to hand. That should stop it squidging and slipping about as you tighten it. If you don't quite go through the bottom board, the dowels can sit in it as you build up the layers.

So all you have to store that you wouldn't be using for normal kitchen tasks are the 2 clamps, plus 2 dowels if you choose that route - maybe try without first. Minimal cost. If she doesn't continue with lino cuts, the clamps can be re-purposed* so nothing is wasted.

* I feel a list coming on: uses of a quick release clamp in the household. Contributions welcome.

nutcracker, lemon squeezer, doorstop, window retainer, lino-cut press clamp, coathook, radiator towel hanger, cable manager, display stand, teabag squeezer, pea to mushy pea converter .......

How big are the images (i.e. piece of lino) that you expect to be used?

About 50 years ago I worked in the printing industry and we used to print the odd poster or artwork graphic from lino-cuts up to about 20" x 30"- the lino was mounted on a board (at "type-high .918") for a conventional printing machine.

I would suggest that if your lino cust is mounted on a piece of board - 12 or 18mm MDF would work to make a solid piece - to print from it would then have even pressure on the lino .... and the receiving material (paper, card, cloth?) needs to be on about 6 sheets of paper to give a bit of resilience when pressure is applied. Making a frame similar to the YouTube video up-thread with some sort of cam to apply pressure to the back of the lino's wood mount would give even pressure.

Adana was also mentioned - as well the 2 sizes of platen press (5 x 3, 8 x 5) they did a flatbed machine - the concepts of that would work for lino printing.

Edit - had a quick Google: see adana flatbed printing machine - Google Search for various machines.

The flatbed machine (ignore the rollers and inkplate) design made from wood with a hinged platen and a simple cam would be easy to make.
Printing process: fix lino block in the bed of the machine, apply ink with a hand roller (put the ink on a piece of glass and work it smooth for the roller to pick up an even coating, apply receiving paper to the inked lino, place a pad of about 6 sheets of paper on that, close the "platen" (hinged top) and apply pressure - lift platen and remove printed image.

Last edited:
Well following some online chat with the daughter we opted for the vice screw method. Yesterday I made a start using what bits of wood I had around. As the screw will exert a goodly bit of force I thought dovetails will be required to take the strain. I will keep the screw handle short also to keep forces down a bit. Hope it works or there will need be a mark 2 with threaded rod. These are quite the largest dovetails I have done and the dovetail saw could not make the depth of cut. I had to resort to a tenon saw and even a rip to help clear the waste. Have to say large dovetails are not easier as I imagined and of course any blemishes are magnified. Anyhow some pics of the job so far.
IMG_1681.JPGIMG_1682.JPGIMG_1683.JPGIMG_1683.JPGIMG_1684.JPG
Todays job the top dovetails and perhaps the top jaw.
Regards
John

Quick update on the big squeeze. Decided to test it out during the dry fit.
Bore down until I heard it creak and well it crushed a can. Should be fine for the job after its glued up, got a handle turned and spruced up a bit
Regards
John
IMG_1696.JPGIMG_1697.JPG

Would love to see a print from this, I might yet be tempted to have a go. There's a hand morticer on another thread, hmmm :unsure:

It may be a while as we expect to be in lockdown until November. I may have to post it to her. Anyhow so far she has been just laying the paper on the block and burnishing it to get a printed image. Gets a reasonable result but a press is supposed to get a crisper image. Time will tell.
Here are a couple she has done.
240468347_116280547322694_4914719879353872723_n.jpg209059619_530618454852110_5226796929909059040_n.jpg224960095_1130018614147732_2575532201788505404_n.jpg
Regards
John

OK final roundup on the press. Got it finished a couple of weeks ago and due to being locked down for covid it was posted to my daughter. She is very happy with it so this was its first print this afternoon. Hot off the press.
Regards
John

Attachments

• 241845785_10159232061871041_375987719713573008_n.jpg
    241845785_10159232061871041_375987719713573008_n.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 240822169_10159212710951041_8797797739262660680_n.jpg
    240822169_10159212710951041_8797797739262660680_n.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 15
Back