Linisher and dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noho12C

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Axminster ultimate edge (UE), and use at the moment a magnet to collect the metal dust. I then clean from time to time with a wet rag the metal dust. Somewhat working but could be better. I have also a fein vacuum and was considering the following options.

1/ Connect the UE to the vacuum with a flame retardant hose. My worry is that there could still be hot particles reaching the bag, and lighting up the wood dust/shavings already in the bag.

2/ Connect the UE to the vacuum with a flame retardant hose, this time using a bag dedicated only for the UE extraction. That way, this bag would only contain metal dust, and no wood (or other flammable items). However, would the bag be suitable for that ?

3/ Use the UE without connection it, as I do now. But use the vacuum to clean the machine from time to time, instead of a rag. Is there any risk for the bag/content of the bag to catch fire ? (i guess the content of the bag is spinning when the vacuum is on, thus there could be a spark risk).

Are those sh*tty ideas ?

Thanks !

Dust bong is the makeshift approach to this but is pretty effective.

Basically it’s a box of water in between the DX and the linisher. This acts to catch and extinguish sparks. It does drop suction a bit but worth it to not have to worry about fires.

I’ll take a few pics of mine

Attachments

• BF6553D4-5D4E-47DE-B792-AD71A67175B7.jpeg
    BF6553D4-5D4E-47DE-B792-AD71A67175B7.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 20
As someone who knows somebody who lost a workshop due to a stray spark smouldering away in a DE I would never suggest using something like that when grinding ferrous metals. It's just not worth the risk.

There’s nothing quite like the the plentiful flow of oxidiser that a vacuum provides to turn a slightly hot ember into a blazing inferno in double quick time. It’s utterly hilarious when it happens to someone else, but also quite scary in an enclosed space.

If I did any more metal work I’d make a dust collector and drop box just for metal as shown above or with a cyclone before a dedicated vacuum for the purpose. One of those cheap and nasty ones that come up for sale occasionally in supermarkets.

If you must use a bag with combustible material in it, leave the power cable exposed so you can pull the flaming bucket outside by it, learned that one a few years ago

Aidan

thanks for your feed back. Indeed, the use of a standard vacuum doesnt sound like a great idea.

Though, what about cleaning the linisher with the vacuum once everything has cooled down. lets say the day after. Is there still a fire hazard ?

thanks for your feed back. Indeed, the use of a standard vacuum doesnt sound like a great idea.

Though, what about cleaning the linisher with the vacuum once everything has cooled down. lets say the day after. Is there still a fire hazard ?

Very unlikely.

I probably should have added that mine is running a dedicated extractor, with flame retardant filters, and only metal is ground. I also have quick release hose clamps so that when I grind wood I can switch extractors.

works well for me and balances the fire risk with the coating of steel dust on everything.

Yeah fine, I mean you don’t need a day, a few minutes will do it. The flaming bucket incident I was referring to was one guy with an angle grinder, another with the vacuum hose right next to it... not pinch of PPE between them, the fire was probably the least harmful outcome from it

I use the magnet trick and have had a tray of filings ignited by sparks before now. Glows red orange, smoulders beautifully and melts plastic no problem.
I now use a shallow aluminium tray under the bottom roller with a VERY powerful magnet below (50Kg +). Lift the tray out and the cold filings are easy to dispose of.
I'm not sure a vacuum setup would be much more effective to justify the extra risk.

Back