Liming wax?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nozzle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im going to be making a oak bowl soon which is going to be stained blue and then pick the grain out with liming wax.
but my question is....do i need to seal the dye with sanding sealer before i apply liming wax?
and also what is the best process for applying liming wax a getting the best effect from it.

thanks in advance!!
paul

Hi Paul

I guess the question is what stain are you going to use as to if it needs sealing in? as long as the solvent in the liming wax dosn't react with the stain then your all right. Fumed oak for instance the "stain" is very stable but if you were to use water stain then at least test a sample to see if it bleeds into the white of the wax.

liming wax I think you just rub well into the grain and buff up, if you want more white and less blue then wire brush the grain first, this all needs testing and a few practice goes before you decide.

Paul

I have used it on Oak

Sanding sealer first leave to dry , then with a brass wire brush open up the grain then work in the liming wax with my finger

buff off and then woodwax 22

118_1809-1.jpg

118_1808-1.jpg

thanks for replies guys
the dye im going to use is the spirit blue dye from axminster.
and nice peice there blister!

I limed a stripped oak (veneered) dining table a few months ago and after several test pieces realised i'd get the best result from opening up the grain with a softish wire brush, staining (if applicable), sealing and finishing - and then hitting it with the liming wax. Was initially thinking i'd lime then seal with a finish, would have looked poor in comparison to the former and been incompatible. Blue sounds like you'd get great contrast going and that's what i found made the liming effect come alive, customer loved it. :ho2

Back