Lilac wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to take down an old lilac tree, maybe 4m high, in the front garden. It's been stuggling for a while and last year's winter didn't do it any favours. Anyhow, SWIMBO has directed that it's got to go so it'll be coming down in October. There should be some reasonable sized lumps from the bole and main branches which ought to be suitable for small turning projects and boxes etc. From doing a little bit of investigation on t'interweb, is seems that the wood is very hard, dense and prone to cracking :cry: I intend to paint the ends with PVA of all the bits I salvage and then leave it outside under cover for a few years to dry out. Any one used lilac...any tips for it's use etc? - Rob

I tried and failed with some branchwood once - the splits and twists went too far, leaving bits just about usable by whittling, so you might get some nice handles for your marking knives. But worth a try for turning with the thicker bole wood I'd have thought.

Hi, Chaps

I have dried some out in the past, it does split but it is very nice stuff to work.

DSC_0011.jpg

Makes good pens I have been told.

Pete

Hi, I find lilac really nice to turn, Its pointless trying to turn it wet it will just split. Once dry it turns really easily and finishes really well with nice figuring. Incidently if you cut the tree down at the base it will resprout

Back