Like busses!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
I've despaired of finding a router plane where I am, at all or for money that I'd be comfortable handing over given how their price has skyrocketed since I started looking for one. I expected that if I ever found one it would need a lot of work and I'd still pay more for it than I'd want to.

Visited one of the larger car boots near to us on Sunday and while it was curiously light on sellers for the time of year and the forecast weather I was rather giddy to see on a table not one but two 071s in great condition. Not only that but each had all three cutters, fence and depth stop and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Rather amazingly the same seller also had two grooving planes (something I have also rarely seen here) and two 78s, but not in as good condition and the grooving planes had only one cutter apiece.

Bod":dw21ukqp said:
Did you....
Heavens no, I have a dodgy DIY router made from pine with an Allen key as the iron, what use would I have for a proper router? :mrgreen:

The current plane prices make me glad I did all my collecting 4 years ago before the Paul Sellers and Wranglerstar thing got out of hand :) I've never paid much for any of them.

Notable ones off the top of my head:
New old Record No 71 in the box with the fence and cutters for £30
New old Record No 78 in the box for £15
Record No 020 Compass plane in warfinish for £25
Record No 04 1/2 in warfinish for £15
Record No 77A in warfinish for £20
Stanley No 71 in the box with all the bits for £10 which I sold on recently for £80

I suspect I would get most of my money back if I sold my collection :wink: Why are you collecting planes they said... Worth nothing anymore they said...

Latest posts

Back