Like a tail/inset vice thingamajig - Yes it's n0legs again!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bm101":ypax5mux said:
=D> Genius. You're one canny b*gger that's for certain mate. Love the vision, the sheer hands on ingenuity and the wherewithal and technical skills to create that. Looks stunning too. Class mate. Pure class. 8)

Hey Chris thanks for the kind words my friend =D>

Woodmonkey":2kkzj5pu said:
That looks superb, still haven't the foggiest what it's for though!
James Hetfield for Phil Collins seems like a fair trade to me.

Thanks WM :D
When it comes to making a deal with the good woman I always like to feel like I've come out on top, I'm sure I have. Haven't I??? :lol:
Either way we'll have a great time, music, wine and a night away from the homestead 8)

Next post might help make some sense.

Not a great deal of forward progress, but I have made a very rough mock up of the assembly.
Scrap MDF and a few screws gets me the results I wanted. Theory is okay, seeing it working is the icing on the cake :D

Does it make a little more sense now folks?

nZrhUPDm.jpg

n1qkGIxm.jpg

Zm8d6Khm.jpg

Back again soon, some more metal bashing to do :D
Much love.

Looking classy, especially that blingy handle. Don't you have any of those bent wire Allen keys you get with flatpack furniture? No, I thought not! :)

As I said. Genius. You want to be patenting this old son. :wink: Sell it to Veritas. :D

Back in the room.
Who said that, was it that hypno guy McKenna?

Well, anyway I'm back, and I'm pleased to report dear members at this third general meeting we have some progress :D

I did say I was sure where we were going with the chassis, and I'll be honest it was a damn good decision. Like the great Hannibal said "I'm giving very serious thought to eating your wife"

For the chassis, rather than completely fabricate, I went for a piece of 3 x 2 aluminium box section, a bit like the piece below.

DMasLObm.jpg

Making that mdf/scrap mock up helped out loads with laying out the critical measurements.
I quite like aluminium, it's easy to drill, tap, cut and file. I'm going to screw this together. Yeah yeah I know "weld it n0legs", ah no. I'd have to buy some ally wire, get some argon and change the liner in the torch (which is always fun, NOT!). The option is still there if I really want too, but this will be solid enough with stainless screws and on final assembly some Loctite industrial grade super glue.

So we better get started.
First lets get the critical hole marked up and drilled, this one is for the lower bush of the driveshaft.

lNu3OGfm.jpg

Next saw off one side so now we have a channel (don't even dare ask the question :lol: ) and file up to tidy up.

qwo8AM2m.jpg

I need some thicker material for the construction, and this will do nicely.
10mm thick flat ally plate, lush! 8)

d0FzxLtm.jpg

Cut off a useful chunk, clean it up with the sander and carry on.

WrUyf9Qm.jpg

First piece roughly sized, only in the length, width is tight for the inside of the channel.

V6MjRbym.jpg

Drilled for a bush. 18mm.

phLpzj1m.jpg

Then a quick trial fit. Looking good :D

BKoyW1rm.jpg

That's been bugging me, my reference to Hannibal. Wrong Hannibal wasn't it? The one I needed was the "I like it when a plan comes together" Hannibal.

A quick interlude.
The good woman decides as a treat to take me down to see Kasabian at The Zooport Centre last Saturday. Oh wow!! Were they cr4p or what! What a waste of money that was. I'd seen them before on a boys night out a few years back, and unfortunately they ain't got any better. Won't be wasting money on them again. And certainly not whilst they write songs allowing the good woman to sing right in my ear on the way home "I'm in love with a psycho" :roll: :twisted:

Back to it folks.
So with a bit of rinse and repeat, we cut out, mark up, drill and trial fit the end bush plate.
Which gives us this :? :D

TUyohLQm.jpg

Bit of a result there me thinks. So after a coffee break and a quick smoke, refreshed and empowered we move on to some drilling and tapping.
Out with me best brogues and I'm tapping away to my hearts content. Certainly not tapping away to Kasabian :evil:

jCoWsFUm.jpg

fUvLFDmm.jpg

djKwvnrm.jpg

enebXMQm.jpg

qjYj9qkm.jpg

Now we can see where we're going, eh? Yes of course you all do.
Another coffee and that bastion of the British workforce, ie a fag break, we move on.
Another bit of ally is rough cut. Then filled and a hole is drilled for the driveshaft top bush.

618HLBIm.jpg

08UgdeXm.jpg

A quick one here :roll:
Oilite bushes, or one of the many Oilite clones, are brilliant for little bits of nonsense like this. Cheap as chips, that's if you've got to pay for them, (I've only paid for two out of the four used on this). Huge range of sizes both in English and Welsh :wink: and super super easy to use.
Drill the right size hole, bang it in, slip in shaft.
The boys in green might be after me for that one :lol:

Now we're cooking, said Walt to Jesse.
I had a little think and decided on the length I wanted this to be. I marked it up and cut off the excess.
The top bush plate has been left long for now, I'm thinking a hole or two through it and that's how it will be securely installed (well one end at least) in the bench.
So for a final pic in this update, I offer you..............................

JuWcZE5m.jpg

Next I really need to decide what I'm doing with the nut, and what to add/modify it with to actually make this thing clamp up against something :-k
I'll get it. It'll come at me in flash, hopefully not when I'm driving. Driving's one of the two things I hate to stop in the middle of.

As always much love, I'll be back to this soon :D

Thanks all for the continued comments and interest.

Eating's the other thing.

I STILL dont know what youre making, I can only assume that you do.

NO NO, dont tell me.
I Love a good mystery.

Looking good nolegs! One quick question: looking at the construction I assume that you will be using a "drop in" rather than a "push up" dog - is that right? If so are you going to make dogs of differing hight to cater for various thickness of stock or do you have some other, more creative solution in mind?

RKtj84D.jpg

Did you not read Dr Dolittle as a kid Bob? :wink:
To be fair the clue is pretty much given away in the thread title! :?

Ahh! I see, he's building a thingummyjig. Understood, nudge nudge, say no more.

Strangely, dr dooloittle was NOT on my school reading list. Oh, no, I remember now, my school didnt have a reading list, or maybe they did and I just didnt turn up enough to find it.

Never mentioned school fella. That there animal is a rare and fabled beast called a Pushmi-Pullu. It was a little clue about Nolegs thingumy doobrey.

Dam, showing my complete lack of childhood again. I thought that drawing was 2 unicorns trying out a kama sutra pose.
Wish I could spell rorscharch.

Does it count if I saw the eddie murphy fillum?

Please no more clues, youre just confusing me even more.

memzey":3tzz6ur9 said:
Looking good nolegs! One quick question: looking at the construction I assume that you will be using a "drop in" rather than a "push up" dog - is that right? If so are you going to make dogs of differing hight to cater for various thickness of stock or do you have some other, more creative solution in mind?

Yes. What I'm pondering now is how to modify the nut to allow a hole for said dogs to drop/sit in.
Not sure of adding a "saddle" to the nut ( C shape steel/metal, hole each end for the thread to pass through) with something on top. I may just build the nut up with some weld and then drill out a hole.

Thanks for the comments :D

Bm101":1i3pfluz said:
Never mentioned school fella. That there animal is a rare and fabled beast called a Pushmi-Pullu. It was a little clue about Nolegs thingumy doobrey.

Man!! I wanna do acid with you :lol: :lol:

sunnybob":2z12k4fo said:
Please no more clues, youre just confusing me even more.

Stay focused Bob, we'll get you through this. Got your back bro' :lol:

Back