Lignum vitae

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plymouth pirate

Established Member
Reaction score
I have inherited a set, of lignum vitae bowls circa 1890's that used to belong to my Grandfather.

Their value is small, but for turning are a bit of a treasure. I know mallets are a good item to produce from this wood but what to do with the other three?

Ideas gratefully accepted.

1890s? Are you sure that you want to change what they have been for that long? 120 years old?? Your grandads???

The monetry value is what against what? If I were lucky enough to get 2 lig vit bowling balls then I would start thinking, BUT if they had that family reference I would think long and hard before I changed what they are...

Sorry mate, but I couldn't do anything but treasure them..

Jonzjob":3lzfex8v said:
1890s? Are you sure that you want to change what they have been for that long? 120 years old?? Your grandads???

The monetry value is what against what? If I were lucky enough to get 2 lig vit bowling balls then I would start thinking, BUT if they had that family reference I would think long and hard before I changed what they are...

Sorry mate, but I couldn't do anything but treasure them..

So, what would you recommend this "Mate" does with them? mount them on a brass monkey for future generations to treasure?

They were given to me by my uncle, my grandfathers son, when I told him they were much prized for mallet heads. They'd been in an old case for years, hidden away with nobody ever opening it an goo-googling at great grandy's old balls. And I wouldn't think anyone ever would.

So, one for a mallet head and the rest for trinket boxes or what?

Any non sentimental ideas appreciated.

Believe it or not but I would go along with Jonzjob on this one .Heirlooms like that are not IMO for changing their former use to a modern day item .
You may as well go and take a few planks from Drakes ship and make skate boards from them .
Hope you wont be annoyed by my post , it is not ment for that reason .

boysie39":106gvmha said:
Believe it or not but I would go along with Jonzjob on this one .Heirlooms like that are not IMO for changing their former use to a modern day item .
You may as well go and take a few planks from Drakes ship and make skate boards from them .
Hope you wont be annoyed by my post , it is not ment for that reason .

Nor was mine.. But hey-ho, there ya go

I think changing an item from "thing in a dark cupboard" to "thing you can use/see/touch everyday" is not showing disrespect at all - quote the contrary.

BugBear

Depending on the make and condition they could be worth up to a couple of hundred pounds, or more, so might be worth checking, these people can help http://www.bowlsengland.com/

I had a an old wooden till draw for coins that belonged to my great grandfather and then my grandfather and I kept it for years as it brought back happy memories every time I found it in whichever dark, hidden corner I found it in after it was put away again. A couple of years ago I incorporated it in a project I was making which meant I had to change it slightly but I now see it everyday and it still reminds me of my great grandfather and grandfather.

I like the idea of using the other 3 for a table lamp, you can get straight tubes to go through the centre of them and have all 3 in one lamp. Another use is as either candle or t light holders, either way they would be used and on view rather than hidden away and forgotten about.

Yes heirlooms are to be treasured but their is nothing wrong with altering them for modern day usage. I dont know about drakes ship but wood from HMS Victory has been used for a skateboard it was on sale for £1500 recently. Along with a variety of other items such as table lamps, wine bottle stoppers etc.

Just my thoughts.

john

jpt":2envdcxj said:
Yes heirlooms are to be treasured but their is nothing wrong with altering them for modern day usage. I dont know about drakes ship but wood from HMS Victory has been used for a skateboard it was on sale for £1500 recently. Along with a variety of other items such as table lamps, wine bottle stoppers etc.

Just my thoughts.

john

John,

The wood from HMS Victory makes me laugh every time I see it marketed at Craft Fayres and the like. I was in the Navy for years and knew personally the Commanding Officers of the Victory in the 80s and 90s. Wood in the form of very seasoned timbers were acquired in 1932 to be stored and used in small repairs to any part of HMS Victory. Those stocks were held in the Dockyard at Portsmouth which was radically changed in the 90s and the 00s. There was no space for this "repair" wood and it was sold off. Associated it was with HMS Victory (called HMS Victory stock!), - you draw your own conclusions as to whether the MOD would cut out good wood and sell it!

Neil Farrer":3a8sgj7l said:
jpt":3a8sgj7l said:

Just my thoughts.

john

John,

The wood from HMS Victory makes me laugh every time I see it marketed at Craft Fayres and the like. I was in the Navy for years and knew personally the Commanding Officers of the Victory in the 80s and 90s. Wood in the form of very seasoned timbers were acquired in 1932 to be stored and used in small repairs to any part of HMS Victory. Those stocks were held in the Dockyard at Portsmouth which was radically changed in the 90s and the 00s. There was no space for this "repair" wood and it was sold off. Associated it was with HMS Victory (called HMS Victory stock!), - you draw your own conclusions as to whether the MOD would cut out good wood and sell it!

There are a lot of them about probably enough to make 3 or 4 full ships.

The one I was thinking about is authorised by Portsmouth dockyard and the navy as being wood used in Victory and comes with a certificate of authentication signed by some admiral. I have seen him at several high end craft and design fairs and the last time I saw him he said he had run out of wood to use.

john

jpt":5vmmn70v said:

The one I was thinking about is authorised by Portsmouth dockyard and the navy as being wood used in Victory and comes with a certificate of authentication signed by some admiral. I have seen him at several high end craft and design fairs and the last time I saw him he said he had run out of wood to use.

john

John,

Got it in one, "Used in Victory", - Used in the refurbishment of HMS Victory, Surplus wood planned for Use in the refurbishment of HMS Victory.

Loosely translated as a pile of surplus dockyard timber.

Found it!

Here's the evidence if ever you needed it. This came from the historic dockyard website. A piece of timber was taken from Victory as part of the ongoing refurbishment project, it was used as a token to be incorporated in a project for the Olympics and this was written on the historic dockyard website:

Commanding Officer of HMS VICTORY, Lt Cdr Whild said “I am delighted to be able to donate a piece of wood to this innovative project on behalf of HMS Victory and the National Museum of the Royal Navy. The wood was recently removed from the port bow section of the ship’s outer planking as part of the ongoing restoration of the ship. During her time in dry dock, HMS VICTORY has undergone many repairs where wood has been replaced over the years and although it is not usual for the timber to be re-used in this fashion, we are very happy to be linked to this project.”

So donations to fanatic pen turners and skate board manufacturers appear to be out of the question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the OP's troublesome balls....I think changing them so they are used every day, rather than never seen again, is the way forward. Surely re-use and recycling is one of the joys of woodworking, and of being 'handy' in general. Might be nice to keep a recognisable detail on the remade things tho.

Back