• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

lignum bowling balls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
=D>

20200801_120859.jpg

Attachments

• 20200801_120859.jpg
    20200801_120859.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 489
Lons":dmphpjl2 said:
Droogs":dmphpjl2 said:
LOL at the moment all I have access to is a 9" long pump drill and a 6" Archemides drill max size of bit for both 3mm.
:lol: :lol: It's going to be a long job, from personal experience they can be dammed hard.

PS
No promises but if anyone else is desperate I might be able to get my hands on a couple of spare bowls, they might not be available now and he's away until next week so won't know for a few days.

Could I be next in line if there are please?

And mine arrived this morning too, checked them out and all well. Thanks for the time and trouble in organising and packing, Phil.

Now to think how to machine them!

best, Keith

Phil Pascoe":3vysvjma said:

one is part turned (who knows why?) but it is plenty large enough for a mallet, and the hole is small so can be re bored to what size you wish.

Are you thinking that this was previously a bowls ball as well?
To me it looks like a"Chog" which was used to take the slack out of animal tethers. Although the hole is usually rope sized.
Cheers Andy

Phil Pascoe":acamehki said:
Something like that does make a bit more sense. :D
Ah! It's just dawned on me...
It's a plumbers following bobbin for pulling through lead pipe to restore the shape. Hence the smaller hole? Knew it looked familiar, I have a string of them hanging on the block and tackle in the lounge :roll:
Whoops, shouldn't be diverting and for sale thread should I? :oops:
Top marks for your doing this for the chaps lass =D>
Cheers Andy

Post and five photos disappeared into the ether. Try again.

DSCF0318.JPG

DSCF0320.JPG

DSCF0321.JPG

DSCF0322.JPG

DSCF0323.JPG

The wooden faceplate is sacrificial (not made for this job) and has a hollow in the centre in which the lignum sits attached by a a couple of blobs of hot melt to hold it steady, then the two blocks of scrap were stuck in place. It was easy enough to drill with an 1 1/16" 2MT Dormer (they seem to go into 3MT at an inch now). A nice bit of ash for a handle, and I'll shape the head tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSCF0318.JPG
    DSCF0318.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 427
  • DSCF0320.JPG
    DSCF0320.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCF0321.JPG
    DSCF0321.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCF0322.JPG
    DSCF0322.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCF0323.JPG
    DSCF0323.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 427
Heads up you chaps who who managed to get hold of Phil's bowls. I missed out but the thread spurred me on to get one elsewhere. There had been one hanging around on the bay for some weeks unwanted so I made an offer and got it at very reasonable price. It arrived this morning and I'm sitting here wondering how on earth I'm going to attack it.
My intention is to use it for making small bearings for my clock making hobby. I'll end up with 12mm dia x 6mm wide plain bearings.
There's a minute crack in the surface which gives me an indication of grain direction.
So, how to go about it? Ideas on a postcard please - or a reply here will do.
Resources available - bandsaw, lathe, belt sander, lots of scraps for jig making.
Thanks in advance
Brian

PS just realised that this is in the Sales dept. Can start new thread if necessary.

Hi Phil
I've had the same puzzle!
I first cut off a small 'edge' which could be used as a 'cabouchon?' (Not sure that's correct word or spelling!), then used the flat to support it on band saw table.
HTH
Greg

Heads up you chaps who who managed to get hold of Phil's bowls. I missed out but the thread spurred me on to get one elsewhere. There had been one hanging around on the bay for some weeks unwanted so I made an offer and got it at very reasonable price. It arrived this morning and I'm sitting here wondering how on earth I'm going to attack it.
My intention is to use it for making small bearings for my clock making hobby. I'll end up with 12mm dia x 6mm wide plain bearings.
There's a minute crack in the surface which gives me an indication of grain direction.
So, how to go about it? Ideas on a postcard please - or a reply here will do.
Resources available - bandsaw, lathe, belt sander, lots of scraps for jig making.
Thanks in advance
Brian

PS just realised that this is in the Sales dept. Can start new thread if necessary.
Feel free to start another thread, it'll be interesting to see what others are doing with lignum and how they're dealing with the balls - I kept two of the chogs, bobbins ..... whatever they are ....... partly because they didn't have the appeal of the balls and partly because I thought they'd be easier to work. I should really turn the large mallet down a bit as it's too heavy, really, but as I've the smaller one anyway it will wait.

I forgot all about asking my mate about the bowling balls so have just rung him and he has 2 spare it seems, he isn't desperate to sell but says he won't let them go for less than £30 the pair plus carriage.
It makes the ones from Phil look cheap so I said I'd post just in case anyone is that desperate in which case drop me a pm and I'll get some photos.
I would have to send them as he says he isn't bothered.

Back