Lightweight Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on a lightweight router. I'm new to routing and find the Makita I have heavy to learn with; I'm looking to cut letters into oak. Any suggestions please? Thanks

If you are looking for a 1/2" router then look at the Draper Expert, it has a transparent base and three LED lights in the base, it's my goto for letters into Oak, which I seem to do a lot for my French/English neighbours, the English want their house named and the French then copy, win win for me. =D>

I struggled to cut letters using my Dewalt 625 1/2 router because of the weight and size, but with a lightweight trim router then I found it much easier. I have the Makita Makita DRT50Z which is cordless and so easy to use, would recommend it.

Here’s my last engraved letter project. Next will be a new house sign.

A6987213-4D30-4ABA-A1A8-AA659ADFC52E.jpeg

Attachments

• A6987213-4D30-4ABA-A1A8-AA659ADFC52E.jpeg
    A6987213-4D30-4ABA-A1A8-AA659ADFC52E.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 289
A bit more information wouldn't go amiss.Is the plan to use the router freehand or will there be letter templates involved?Since the topic is lightweight,I suppose we can assume all 1/2 inch routers are excluded.The Makita cordless would probably be a good choice for names that aren't too long,no idea how long the battery lasts,but it has the extra advantage of no draggy power cable.For constant use I would be looking for a 1/4 inch router with two handles as opposed to a one handed trimming tool.

RichardG":30azdq3a said:
I struggled to cut letters using my Dewalt 625 1/2 router because of the weight and size, but with a lightweight trim router then I found it much easier. I have the Makita Makita DRT50Z which is cordless and so easy to use, would recommend it.

Here’s my last engraved letter project. Next will be a new house sign.

I'll plus one the Makita Cordless, best thing I ever bought. It's gutsy for what it is but you do need to be sensible.

Only niggle is the plunge lock on the plunge base, hard to get it locked right in use but very easy to knock it free.

I've not found guide buses for the plunge base yet but I believe they exist

Back