Lightweight handheld sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent small handheld lightweight sander...... due to the fact i have only use of one hand/arm and the other is pretty bad I want one that doesn't vibrate too much (the vibration causes my hand/arm problems) and must be easy to use single handed (no strength in my good hand). It must be mains powered and have some way of dust removal if possible.
Cheers
Brian
Ps forgot to mention it will be used for light sanding of flat wood (not detail)

Festool ETS 125. Best finish sander I have used. Even my four year-old can use it with ease. It has a small bag but obviously it works best with a dust extractor attached. It's also the least expensive of the Festool sanders.

The smallest sanders I've ever used are air sanders such as the Dynabrade which are specifically designed for one-handed operation - but the downside is that they require a compressor, and a fairly big one at that to operate (5HP+/-). Having used one a couple of times I'd have to say that the Mirka Deros (or the very similar Ceros) is the nearest I've ever come across to the Dynabrade in an electric tool. Whilst not featherweight they are very low profile and again are designed for one-handed use. They are as quiet as the Festools and are well balanced with excellent dust extraction. Having induction motors they should last almost forever, too. To give you an idea of the size difference, here's a photo of my Metabo RoS (which is a similar size to the 150mm Festool, albeit lightly taller) next to an air RoS (a copy of the Dynabrade). The Deros/Ceros is slightly fatter than the tool on the right, but otherswise similar in size
Metabo and Air Sander.jpg

Attachments

• Metabo and Air Sander.jpg
    Metabo and Air Sander.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 644
Back