Lightweight hand held belt sander recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Hi,
Going to need to do some maintenance on a wood log lap clad lodge, including sanding and resealing or staining outside. Not looking to strip back to bare wood, but it does neen a good sanding.

It's flat faced log lap, so thinking belt sander rather than R.O.S., faster? smoother?

It's 40ft x 20ft x 10 to 12ft at apex. So lot to sand in prep.
My older macallister 4" belt sander is way to heavy for prolonged use vertically.

So looking for suggestions and recommendations on a lightweight version.

Need to be electric, as my compressor not powerful enough to run air sander.

So any ideas folks? Or do I need to think of another way/tool type?

I think you will find any belt sander even a smaller one hard work to sand a vertical surface as you need to keep it in line with the grain all the time, if the boards run vertically it might be okay but if they are horizontal I think it would be a struggle.

It depends how rough the surface is, the geared type sanders can remove stock quickly then you can switch them to ROS mode for a finer finish.

I always think a cordless ROS look handy for what you are doing.

Another option might be a decent scraper, it's surprising how quickly they work in some situations. I have one of these and it's great, cheaper ones are available that will do just the same.

https://www.buybrandtools.com/acata...QWDa7UIGhbNWLmzihOl-DPafMjftASaIaApYMEALw_wcB

The boards are horizontal. Have used a scraper type on the hand rail before, it was ok but I need to do about 1,000 sq feet, and half of that up a ladder!

The boards are horizontal. Have used a scraper type on the hand rail before, it was ok but I need to do about 1,000 sq feet, and half of that up a ladder!
Let me know how you get on?
I have ours in Devon to do.

It's not too bad ATM but I'm going to invest in a quality 6" ros sander (probably Makita)

Going to do one aspect a year... West is the worst obvious so that's my spring job, with a bit of cycling or if my parents come down a bit of sight seeing....

Cheers James

Ìf all else fails, was thinking maybe a quality air ROS and hiring a decent hi cfm compressor?

Back