Lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
My 'workshop' (garage) has a low roof of just under 6 feet at one end above my bench. My lighting is supplied by an inspection lamp and a desk lamp on the bench: there is no lighting circuit as such, just as well, really, as fixed lights would just be in the way. Any recommendations for lighting bars or lamps, or should I just invest in a couple more inspection lamps?

what about these led strips you can get these days? really thin and can give out a good light? could do something to disguise them if you wanted - they also do a very low profile aluminium channel for the strips to sit in with a diffuser which is about 10mm in depth

So I have a single garage as my workshop and have led lighting, but it was put in by a sparky friend at mates rates when he re-wired the garage for me, so I’d suggest proper lighting but if you can’t my wife and daughter wanted a craft/art room so they use the spare room but wanted more light we found this is A great light

i also use a Gloforce in my workshop

Padster

I recently bought 2 12v Car/Van Interior Light Strips which have 72 LEDs. They are about 12" long, come with double sided adhesive strip but do need a 12v source. No problem for me since I have a
LED Strip Light.png
few laptop power supplies laying around.

I paid £7 for the pair and although the eBay advert said 'UK Stock' they actually came from China :(

I've used Ovia OV73301CW 30w 600x600mm LED Panels (4000K).
https://oviauk.com/products/jura/They were recently on special offer from a local electrical wholesaler at £19.95 +vat each.
The panels are only about 10mm thick, with a separate driver (the size of an electronic lighting transformer (c150x40x30mm).
I just fixed them directly to the ply ceiling using short screws and something similar to these 10PCS Stainless Steel 2 Holes Flat Corner Brace Plate Connector 47x15.5x5mm | eBay and fixed the drivers in a length of 50x50 plastic trunking.
They give a good even white light and very pleased with the result.

Another vote for LED strips. If you spread them accross the roof you get shadow free lighting. You can also get daylight versions too that help you see the wood as it will look like in daylight. Mine are all 12V strips run off solar, wind and a big battery. I only recently got power to my workshop.
IMG_1789.jpeg

Something that can help a lot in such spaces is to paint the walls (and ceiling, if there is one!) white. It makes best use of what light is available. Amazing how much unpainted brick garage walls seem to absorb light.

If the workshop's already crowded, and the walls mostly - erm - inaccessible, that might not be much direct help now, but it's worth bearing in mind for the future, perhaps.

Latest posts

Back