Light Silicone Spray

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
There appears to be a lot of silicone products out there. I am looking to buy a can of light silicone spray to lubricate moving woodworking metal to metal or metal to plastic parts for easy movement. Can you recommend a product?

I avoid silicone of any kind in my shop. The reason being it mucks up finishes like lacquer or varnishes. Causes fisheye and orange peel. Even a little on a saw, drill press, planer or thicknesser is enough to contaminate the wood for some time to come.

Pete

I avoid silicone of any kind in my shop. The reason being it mucks up finishes like lacquer or varnishes. Causes fisheye and orange peel. Even a little on a saw, drill press, planer or thicknesser is enough to contaminate the wood for some time to come.

Pete

Silicone spray is the work of the devil.

Thus far I have never hear of any problems with PTFE but I know Silicone is. Even some of the spray furniture polishes contain silicone and when it comes time to refinish is causes problems. I read yesterday of some casting epoxies not playing well with sandpaper that has the stearate on it. The no clogging sandpaper. The surface ends up with fisheye problems too.

Pete

Metal to metal - oil, wax or grease

Metal to plastic - if you need a lubricant something is wrong

Aidan

Thanks for the replies--great advice. Many thanks.

Use a drop of '3-In-1' or WD40? Wax is mentioned--what type of wax?--will wax coloured filler sticks work? Or on a wax product avoid the word silicone?

Last edited:
Silicone spray is not good.
Any type of paste wax is ok, an old fashioned paraffin wax. You can buy "machine wax" but I suspect it is just the tin and the price that is different.

Ollie

Silicone spray is reserved in my workshop purely for rubber components like o-rings, otherwise I try and avoid it as it's quite poor as a lubricant for most applications, better options out there.

Machinery wax is great, it’s pricey but good. Works nicely on clamp threads, the clamp bars to stop glue sticking to them etc... I don’t remember when I bought my tin, but it’s mostly full still after many years
Aids

Back