Light on the workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 euros, so bout a tenner sterling in ikealand
Only recently seen a fella on the auzzie workbench forum stuck one on his Cosman bench.

TERTIAL Work lamp, light blue

Seems closer in size to the old style angle poises, compared to the yoke of a thing I got from the bay.
Likely the best thing to get one by until they found one of these.

View attachment 125293
They look fab Ttrees. I might angle one into my new workbench at some stage. 😀
Rob

If you do get one of these, would love to get a good look at them.
I've also asked Bucky the guy on the Auzzie forum who bought one,
to try and give a better idea of the size.
He did mention that the shade is 6.5" so it might not be quite as good as if it were another inch larger diameter.
I did some experiments years ago making shades, and found that it does make a noticeable difference (no, I did not go all James Burke and measure it)

Nothing to stop one from experiments with some cereal box.
They look solid enough that one could alter them if need be, provided one uses light sheet metal, maybe not as necessary as with a weak gooseneck lamp, but you never know how
heavy the shade is and the spring quality.
Spring fatigue might not be of concern until a few years though.

Made a stack of these when I lived in town, during a storm I spotted a bit of
fascia material peeling away from the new buildings and kept an eye on it.
Likely overkill and too skimpy for an angle poise
and for one above which might be possibly very well designed in proportion to the weight, likely more so.
Thinner stuff catches on stuff too, at the same time beware that the panel from an old microwave might be a tad heavy.
Cheap lampshade.jpg

Bit hick though!
In the background is some aluminium cable tv stuff, never did get round to finding springs to make some, apparently you can use piano wire to coil your own.

Just remember the window is there, very easy to forget and smash it with a length of wood as you swing it round.
Or something going flying that wasn’t supposed to. 😱
On LED lights - I’m another convert. Only got a small hobby workshop (3x4m) but fitted 2x LED ‘tube shaped’ batten fittings down the centre. Loads of light and no noticeable flicker. I also have a LED bulb in a magnifying lamp which is great for detail work and illuminating into spaces where a little more light is needed.
I also fitted cheap roller blinds to the windows mainly to keep prying eyes out, but have half closed them when the sun is being a pain too.

I think all the bulbs are/can be bought in LED form now,
About three times the price, but seemingly a bit more durable than some of the cheapie incandescent ones, don't even sneeze beside them job, which I was buying because I
believed all LED's were the same light as the super glary blinding orriible thing I bought in Liddles.
Still skeptical of anything that gives off any blue light, my eyes see facets and tool edges don't blind me with a warm light.
Offre Lampe Led Lumière Du Jour Livarnolux chez Lidl 1224 × 711

I had a good look around locally online and I would certainly be spoilt for choice with the plethora of LED lights and fittings available so that problem is well solvable.
But, and this is getting off topic a bit, this workshop renovation has become quite major with shifting walls around, re- gibbing etc but this is ok, building work is a lot of fun but my God, the prices are unbelievable.
6 years ago we did a bit of work on the house and then an 8' x 4' sheet of gib board was $12.50. Now its $29.85. And timber is even worse - 3" X 2" framing timber was $3 a metre, now its $8.95.
NZ is awash in plantation pine. Our species is the Nordic pine and planting to maturity is 25 years and annually we plant more than we fell. So feeling very aggrieved, ripped off and peed off.

If putting in new led lights, i recommend avoiding spots and even tubes. with flat panels e.g.600 x 600 the light is reaching any single point from many more directions, and shadows are effectively eliminated. My old eyes are now rubbish and I used to have local led spots anywhere it mattered, if I had replacint The fluorescent tubes with leds tubes would not have changed that need. Flat panels completely changed it and they are not expensive as used in so many offices and shops.

Attachments

• 20210930_160746.jpg
    20210930_160746.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210917_230624.jpg
    20210917_230624.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210916_114441.jpg
    20210916_114441.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210915_144310.jpg
    20210915_144310.jpg