Light Hardwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

My Wife wants a patio table building and as I have to justify the money I am spending on tools, what she wants she gets. :!:
Anyway can someone advice on a goodwood to use with the only proviso being she wants it light so it matches the decking. :?:
I want to be able to leave it out all year round.
Cheers
G

aye aye Grumfy.. :wink:

bit of a tall order there... weather resistant light coloured timber... might be easier gettin hens teeth...

best I can think of is oak, but that's gonna weather to a mid gray colour over time... I'm struggling to think of anything else...

Grumf, welcome to the forum.

IMHO the best wood to use is Teak, or as a cheaper option Iroko, but as you will know this isn't exactly light. What wood have you used for the decking? Is it new? eg will it darken with age?

Teak will last a life time and if you do not treat it, in a couple of years it will turn a light grey. Mind you this colour is not everyones cup tea.

Teak is expensive but if you can convince your better half to go for this, you will, i am sure not regret it.

Regards

Woody

Grumf

I would advise against Oak, inspite of Mike's recommendation. The reason for this is that I have had major problems with oak on exterior furniture with a sort of fungal growth appearing over time which rendered the furniture unusable as it kept reappearing after removal. The oak had been oiled with 5 coats too :roll:

Tony wrote
I would advise against Oak, inspite of Mike's recommendation. The reason for this is that I have had major problems with oak on exterior furniture with a sort of fungal growth appearing over time which rendered the furniture unusable as it kept reappearing after removal. The oak had been oiled with 5 coats too

TX wrote
Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:32 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgive me if i'm wrong, (or not on the same lines ) but isn't oak susceptible to fungal attack when used externally

Waterhead37 then wrote
TX,

Oak is one of the very best woods for outside use. It is very resistant to most things and certainly not particularly suceptible to fungus although ineveitably as with any wood outside, it will support populations of all sorts of growing things (like lichens) - which however tend to leave the oak undamaged.

Now i'm not trying to be pedantic here, or prove a point against
Chris :^o , but which is it? YAE or NAE?

TX

ps, 1-0 lets be 'aving you, Come on!!!!!

All I can say is my oak gate has been absolutely fine and dandy. But then I didn't oil it, which is maybe what encouraged Tony's fungal friends? :-k

Cheers, Alf

With regard to my oak problems, the final diagnosis was that some sort of spor was present in the oak and the fungus spread from inside.

I purchased the garden furniture ready made and it is possible that the problem occurred before we bought it - possibly during manufacture. I found out that the company had 30 such patio sets returned (full container load) :shock:

However, during my research into this problem (trying to get my money back :twisted: ), I often read that white oak is not a good wood to use for outside furniture as it is very susceptible to fungal attack.

Just my experience and what I read.

Back