Light duty router advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Lons, but I doubt they'll have any in stock by the time I get around to it, I'll check and see at the time though.

This was all research so that I know what to get when I can afford to, I'm expecting a small windfall some time in the next few months, but no idea when, and I've just been trying to figure out in advance what's best to spend it on, instead of running around researching like a lab assistant on a full case of Red-Bull when it arrives.

To be honest I don't even know what a systainer is, all my tools in the past have arrived in those annoying blown plastic containers that allow the tool to be replaced only in an exact position and configuration, within a tolerance of about 1 degree of rotation, and one mil of displacement... They all end up in a cupboard till the guarantee runs out for the tool, then chucked in the bin :)

Nic.

Bump

Have you bought one yet Nic?

I've had my eye on these for a year, knowing I'll need one one day. Originally the Bosch didn't include the plunge kit in the UK, but it did in the US. The reviews I read in the US said the DeWalt was better, and that the Bosch didn't have soft start. It looks like the Bosch and Makita both have a tilting base, but the DeWalt doesn't.

Hiya Trig,

Yes, I went for it in the end and bought the Makita CX2 version with all the bits and bobs that are included. It was £200 from D&M tools and came in the hard systainer-type case.

I've not had much of a chance to try it out as yet, other than a little bit of testing, but from what I've seen... Wow. It's very nice. Easily set for fraction of a mm surface trimming cuts - one of the things I really wanted it for, to use in inlay work etc. Sets very easily, massively versatile with all the different bases. Soft start is a great indicator of quality as well as helping with control.

I'd definitely recommend it, the build quality is better than most of the tools I own, and I'm a little in love with the thing. Very much looking forward to my next project that gives me an excuse to use it!

Nic.

PS- What swung it for me in the end was that the others didn't have dust hood fittings, soft start, the variety of bases or the micro-adjust feature for depth. Most of these were important in my eyes, and the Makita was the only option that had them all.

You won't regret it Nic

I have a couple of other routers but reach for the little Makita at every possibility. I love it as well. :oops:

Bob

nicguthrie":2vrjdmt0 said:
Hiya Trig,

Yes, I went for it in the end and bought the Makita CX2 version with all the bits and bobs that are included. It was £200 from D&M tools and came in the hard systainer-type case.

I've not had much of a chance to try it out as yet, other than a little bit of testing, but from what I've seen... Wow. It's very nice. Easily set for fraction of a mm surface trimming cuts - one of the things I really wanted it for, to use in inlay work etc. Sets very easily, massively versatile with all the different bases. Soft start is a great indicator of quality as well as helping with control.

PS- What swung it for me in the end was that the others didn't have dust hood fittings, soft start, the variety of bases or the micro-adjust feature for depth. Most of these were important in my eyes, and the Makita was the only option that had them all.
Thanks Nic

I had read that it wasn't easy to make fine adjustments with the rack and pin (and that the Bosch and DeWalt were easier), but it doesn't sound like that's your experience.

The Makita would work on a Makita plunge saw rail - is that a different shape to the DeWalt, as I have the DeWalt plunge saw and rail system?

Thanks

Lons may be of more use to you there.

I have only played with the micro adjust, and it seems to work in the same slightly irritating way that they all do, where you set it close, fit the adjust up snug, loosen the base, adjust the microsetting to a little shorter or longer, then pull the base back to touch, etc - but as I'd said, I've not really used it much yet.

It's certainly no harder to use than any other router I've used - true it doesn't have the slow moving geared micro-adjust I've seen in some heavier routers, but those tend to break a lot easier than a simple calibrated threaded rod anyway.

As for the rail system, I bought a "Progrip" universal 50" guide and router base for about £50 from Axminster. I'd looked at the Trend system, but it seemed very expensive for the actual bases. I'd assume you could get a universal base to fit yours, or shave/shim a universal one for another kit until it fit?

Nic.

I have the Bosch but not the plunge base. I think it is excellent. Setting the depth can be a pain at times but light enough for one handed use, routing door hinges etc.

nicguthrie":1ydp1yxu said:
Hiya Trig,

Yes, I went for it in the end and bought the Makita CX2 version with all the bits and bobs that are included.
I'm still undecided :oops:
I wonder if you and/or Lons could comment on the reviews I've seen online (at the bottom)?

As I don't own a larger router (I borrow a 2kw when needed) I've discounted the smaller Bosch. I'll use this palm / plunge router for more than just the smallest jobs.

So it's between the DeWalt and Makita.

Advantages of the DeWalt:
Nice LED light, so you can see your work.
A bit more powerful.
The micro adjustment looks easier to get accurate.
55mm plunge capacity vs 35mm.
Reading reviews, I get the feeling it's stronger?
A guide rail adapter will definitely work on my DeWalt guide rails

Advantages of the Makita:
It comes with a tilt base - and that could be a big deal
I understand it's quieter than the DeWalt
A DeWalt guide rail adapter will probably work with it

I think if it wasn't for your experience, and that of Lons, I'd get the DeWalt. But you're both very happy with the Makita, and I would like that tilting base. My main concern with the Makita comes from some reviews I've seen, like these from Axminster:

"on 1st use, l tightened the bit, was using it to cut a rebate in some conti & over the length the bit slipped out by 5mm cutting a sloping groove - not funny. I now tighten it using both spanners to squeeze the pips out of it. I'm sure it would break the casting tighten it enough to hold the bit as a previous review found."

"At first it seemed like a great bit of kit, comes with loads of extras and coped with hardwood easily, was really pleased, then when I tried to remove the cutter using the built in push pin and the spanner supplied, the motter housing cracked!"

If it really is just a case of knowing how to fit the bits, I might as well get the Makita, for the tilt base. The main thing I'd miss from the DeWalt is the light.

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

I'm very happy with my makita, my only regret is that I only bought the basic kit, not the extra bases. After watching Alan Holtham's YouTube video I can see uses that I hadn't thought of for the tilting base. Regarding the reviews, I haven't had a bit slip, but I never use the pressed tin spanners that come supplied with tools, always a proper spanner. I did have the trim base slip on me the first time I used it, just required the nut on the attachment band tightening.

Back