Light duty router advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, there's been a heap of these threads recently, but mostly looking for heavy duty tools.

I recently posted in another thread that I was looking for advice on getting a router for my workshop. I need one that's precise and reliable, and light enough for my dodgy joints to handle without dislocating (they do that). I had my eye on 3 at the Axminster site, and I thought the DeWalt would be the best build quality and reliability, from experience of their drills, but I got trolled for this on the other thread by a member that wouldn't follow up his comment.

My shortlist so far is between:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-rt0700cx2-router-trimmer/
or
http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gkf-600-palm-router-kit/
or
http://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-d26204k-plunge-and-fixed-base-2-in-1-router-1-4/

I've discarded (perhaps wrongly) the Trend T4 that I'd originally planned, after hearing from the manufacturer somewhere, that it's only really intended for up to 20 minutes use per hour, and since I'm a slow and meticulous worker, I could see me burning it out. I've had several tradesmen that I know warn me not to go for Bosch if I want it to last, but that could just be regional predjudice.

The tool's not for use in a table, nor for particularly heavy stuff, mostly trimming small parts for jewelry boxes, coffee tables etc. and possibly in a jig for decorating stuff on my lathe. I have a heavier Aldi special for in my mini router table, that will do for any heavier stuff, and would be cheap to burn out :)

I'd appreciate any further input that I can get, as with lack of experience in general, and not much exposure to brands, I'm a little at a loss. The DeWalt is right at the top of my price range at £250, I'd rather spend less if possible. So Festool is out :) Oh, and I'm on the hunt for a decent electric hand planer too, if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Nic.

Nic,

Have you considered a dremel and router base for it. It probably wont do all of your needs, but I have one that i have just got and used for inlaying. For that, jewelry box hinges, stringing etc they are brilliant, particularly if you already have the dremel. I would like to say that I made an equivalent to http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CEYQ9QEwAg but in fact JasonB did 90 % of it and i only had to cut some threaded bar to length. The router bits were carbide slot drills from ebay and worked out at about 80 pence each.

I should have actually said, yes I already have a Dremel and the router base, it's what I've been using until now. It's excellent for making inlay beds and little 4mm rebates. I've had problems with the bit slipping in the collet recently, no matter what collet I use or how tight it is, so I suspect I need a new router bit as the shank may be too worn. Have you a link for the carbide bits you found? All I've ever seen are dental burrs or the Proxxon set of HSS router bits.

I'll still need a dedicated router for the "heavier" work that's too big for a Dremel, so I still need to decide on one, and a planer for that matter.

was it a t4 or t5 that devonwoody bought and disliked?

Hi

I have the Trend T4 and its been fine - one of the reasons I decide on this model was the 43mm collar which makes mounting in other jigs nice and easy.

Also it is a plunge design which I feel is more versatile than the screw type depth adjustment

Do you really think you will be using it consistently at more than 20 min / hour? I don't think I've ever come anywhere near that.

Regards Mick

I have the Makita cx700 with plunge, fixed and tilt bases and have used it a fair bit in the last six months and I am well pleased with it.

Hi Nic

Following quite a bit of research, I've just bought the Makita 700 (see my posts over the last few days). Only received on Tuesday so haven't had a chance to try it out properly but my first impressions are that it's a really solid, powerful and quiet machine. At least as good as my ancient Elu Mof96e and probably much better.

I spent £220 on mine from Anglia Tool Centre but opted for the special edition model " RTO700CX5J which is basically the CX2 but with hard systainer case.
the basic CX$ is around £100 and the CX2 at about £200.

My initial intention was just the fixed base CX4 but the CX2 includes plunge and vauriable ange as well so seems more versatile. You know what it's like - start looking at a Polo but buy a Passat :lol: :lol:

Bob

I have the little Bosch which is great for light work especially one handed.

OK. Now I'm conflicted.

I just realised I linked the wrong Bosch package, as it's the one with the plunge base included that I'm considering, seems to be the same router body tho, so no harm done.

Those with the Bosch, how accurate is the plunge depth setting, if you have it? @Lons, same with the Makita, is the depth setting good and accurate? I guess that's one of the deciding factors, as the main thing I'll do with it is rebating for bases and inlays, and Dovetails when I'm too lazy or rushed to do them by hand.

So far between the two, the main differences seem to be that the Makita has soft start and variable speed, and better dust collection facilities. According tot he blurb, the Bosch can also only take the 1/4inch collet supplied too. I can't really see any of these being essentials, but they are the only differences I can see, and all seem in favour of the Makita. One of the reviews mentions that the Bosch has a very accurate depth setting on the fixed base if you know how to use it. That's certainly something that would set me favouring it.

@Spindle Unfortunately, yes, I can see me spending half an hour obsessing over the fit of a base to a box, or a full small set of dovetails etc. I live on heavy painkillers, and can tend to not notice how long I'm spending if I'm really concentrating on something.

@Marcros Thanks for the link to the little carbide bits. I've had a few of those milling type heads tho, and never found them quite as good as a proper small router bit, especially in hardwood where they've always tended to burn. I have a little 4mm two flute straight router cutter that I use at the moment, and I've been searching regularly for a good quality replacement. Most of what comes up on ebay of that description looks pretty shabby.

Odd that nobody seems to have the DeWalt, I thought they'd be more popular. If it comes down to the Bosch or the Makita, there's only £20 odds in it, so I'll go for the best build quality and accuracy, if I can determine which that is! :)

Thanks for the help folks.

Nic.

I think the Bosch now comes with an optional plunge base as well as the fixed base so you can have both a fixed base for light one hand work and a plunge base for light duty plunging.

Hi Nic

I played with the makita for about 30 mins last night and I'm happy that the accuracy and positive locking system is more than enough for my needs so I'm well pleased with it. What I REALLY liked though is the tilt angle base and I produced a simple chamfered edge with just a straight 1/4" bit and could vary the angle at will. I also tried a couple of std profile cutters which by varying the angle give very different profiled edges. I can see me using that base rather a lot. :D

IU'd be the first to to admit if I'd bough the wrong machine but in this case, I don't think so.

Bob

I've just bought the dewalt albeit just the fixed base version this week and first impressions are that it is solid and a decent tool cost was around £150 . I didn't go for the kit as I have numerous plunge routers and wanted a dedicated trimmer. I had a T4 and it blew up got a replacement that failed so gave up on it.

Cheers

Jon

I was in Axminster yesterday and noticed the dewalt and bosch were on display. The dewalt is heavier and larger than the Bosch

I have a T5and a T10 both have never let me down the T5has been going strong for about 12 years and never missed a beat and often used 1 handed the T10 was bought just before the T11 came on the market and is used mainly for kitchen worktop and never let me down.

Thanks again guys. I think I'm pretty convinced by Lons and the extra included features, that I'll go for the Makita.

The Trend T5, 10 and 11 all look very nice, but they're pretty huge for what I was looking for. If I can't scrape the cash together for the Makita, I may go for the Bosch, you've put my mind at rest about its quality, but I'd like the dust collection guards for each of the bases, and the Bosch seems to miss that out along with the soft start and variable speed.

All the input is much appreciated.

Nic.

nicguthrie":20dbzr33 said:
Thanks again guys. I think I'm pretty convinced by Lons and the extra included features, that I'll go for the Makita. Nic.

Hi Nic

Best deal I could find (for the systainer case model), was Anglia Tool Centre. I've never used them previously so rang up to check stock and ordered over the phone. Delivery is free next day and they give you a 1 hour time slot but I paid £1.95 for a.m. delivery for convenience. Might be a bit different out in the sticks where you are!

Bob

Back