Lifting a K3 Multico Hollow Chisel Mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
I am replacing the wooden stand under my K3 model on my own and would like to lift it vertically without taking it apart.
Has anyone done this?
Also, not so important but to save me struggling, do you know the mounting bolt hole centres please ?
Cheers Andy

I'm working on a very early K morticer at the moment and I let it down gently onto it's back to take the base off, although mine has cast iron legs rather than a wooden base.

The top half whompin' heavy to try and shift by yourself and unless you've got a chain hoist kicking about and a decent joist/beam/whatever above you I don't think you'll be able to lift it up by yourself very easily without serious danger of it toppling over or doing yourself an injury.

I can measure my base easily tomorrow if you'd like for the bolt holes but as I said it's the very early model with the cast iron everything so it may be different to the later models.

I reckon it'll be the same one.
It's the slinging position, that if someone has done it, would help without me experimenting.
I'm thinking a strap round the back of the pillar and up between the head guides with a bar to key it in.
I have garage roof joist and pulley set up.
If you easily have the hole centre's that would help thanks.
Cheers Andy

If you’re on your own it might be easier to use the hoist to lay it down on its back, as suggested. Then you’re not working around any hanging bone-crushers.

I replaced the stand on my model K on my own with no hoist, so I put a pallet down in case I had to drop and run, and to make it easier to fit the new stand. I nearly pooped out my own rectum lifting it back up again, so a hoist is a very good idea.

Sorry Andy, totally forgot to do it last night #-o

13" centres front to back, 11" centres side to side.

Trevanion":3j1n4bpz said:
Sorry Andy, totally forgot to do it last night #-o

13" centres front to back, 11" centres side to side.

No problem and thanks, they look to tally with what I can feel.
My serial number is 1725, how early is yours?
Cheers Andy

toolsntat":kywhtazs said:
My serial number is 1725, how early is yours?

Mine's 524 :)

ueTz9Xo.jpg

Proper early earlies then :lol:
Forgot to look but I bet a date is stamped on the motor plate which will give a rough age of the machine.
Andy

I can't see anything obvious on my motor plate, but I reckon the machine has got to be from the 60s or 70s at the latest?

IJ5bd47.jpg

My motor plate is helpfully on the back where you can’t see it and coated in some sort of varnish, but looking at yours I can see 3063 - 30th week 1963?

EDIT: Just had a look with a mirror - mine doesn’t have a number where your 3063 is. Stamped onto a boss on the other side is 4517. Surely not wk17 1945?

Trevanion":3n0c9ym3 said:
I can't see anything obvious on my motor plate, but I reckon the machine has got to be from the 60s or 70s at the latest?
Mine could be deciphered as 7/2/63?
Not sure why but your motor is a different spec to mine...
5.5 AMP
1 HP
Didn't lift it in the end, I have a large trunk close to the same height so jacked up a bit and slid a stout length of beech under forming a bridge. Moved it across on this :arrow: :arrow:

Just for reference I did have 11" center's but the other was 13-3/16".

Seen some pictures and they highlighted my missing carriage clamp, not a great problem but may knock something up later :wink:
Cheers Andy

Bit cheeky but I don't suppose you could measure the od and length of the chisel and the bit collet for me could you ?

Anyone else got these screws cast into the back of their head casting which holds the motor to the machine? I would guess they were holding the wooden pattern together but they're not on the opposite side of the casting, but they're definitely cast in.

JkvqlHi.jpg

Trevanion":1stfju1a said:
Anyone else got these screws cast into the back of their head casting which holds the motor to the machine? I would guess they were holding the wooden pattern together but they're not on the opposite side of the casting, but they're definitely cast in.

JkvqlHi.jpg
I think I can see some slots where yours are. There’s more paint on mine.

Latest posts

Back