Lifes a Beech... (sorry)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am nearing the end of a Woodworking Course at my local Adult Education Centre. I am making a laundry basket out of Beech. (I stumbled on this site looking for biscuit jointers).

At Last weeks class I noticed that there was some crack in the wood as follows:

cracked-1.jpg

cracked-2.jpg

This is either end of the same post. It only occurs in this post and one other rail.

Is this anything to worry about? Essentially when the piece is glued up the cracks won't be seen. The cracks seeemed to have grown over time.

I could be a mile off track, but it looks like a combination of releasing internal stresses and possibly some drying causing shrinkage too..

FWIW, I've seen this happen in oak too...

is there anything I can do to stop it cracking further? Should I scrap the whole post?

the crack's happened because something has created unequal stresses in the piece. That could be a result of the tree itself, improper drying prior to the kiln, improper drying in the kiln or not letting the stock acclimatise to your shop conditions..

Either way, if it still has more moving to do, there's little you can do about it short of steaming it and drying all over again..

If it's real bad it might be best to make a replacement piece..

I agree with the others. If it's feasible to replace the affected part then do so. Otherwise, fill the cracks with some Araldite ( the slow type) warmed with a hair dryer until it's clear and runny, let it set, smooth it down, assemble you piece and go on to the next project.
John

Back