Lie Nielson

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Anyone use Lie Neilson planes on here?

I have a little bronze low angle block plane and love it. I am wondering about shelling out for a new No5 to replace my Stanley Baile (tuned according to DC book of course!).

Trouble is, the block plane was £60 and the No5 £££s

On the subject of planes....

I just got a Veritas Shoulder plane. WOW. WOW. WOW.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... page=48430
http://www.leevalley.com/home/main.asp

Buy one if you want to tidy those tennons

Tony,

Yep, there's one or two L-N owners here, myself included. They're a bit addictive, aren't they? :oops: Having said which, if you want a #5 jack to use as a jack, then the L-N seems a bit of an overkill. My personal preference is to use L-N kind of money where it really counts; smoothers, the joint trimming stuff, maybe even a jointer. But it's really only 'cos I haven't won the lottery yet. :D But if you want a high end jack, have you considered a Clifton instead? Lots of happy users out there, who I'm hoping will chime in...

Never mind taling of planes; talk about a gloat! You lucky fellow. Did you buy it direct? If so your experiences of doing so, and what it ended up costing you, would be very welcome if you'd be willing to share them.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf

To be honest I love hand planing but haven't got the hang of the names as my plasne are record block, Record No4, Stanley Bailey No5, Stanley Rebate (like your little picture thingy) and LN low angle bronze block. Oh, and Veritas Shoulder plane too now :)

I got the Veritas directly from Canada using the web link. I read a review in one of the mags and it came out 5 star. I wanted a shoulder plane for ages but don't like the Stanleys I've seen and thought the LN too expensive.
The thing that really sold this one to me in the end is the grub screws in the sides for blade alignment and the small brass knob at the rear.

Cost me around £93 with postage and it arrived within 2 weeks which was really impressive from Canada.

Blade was flat and cut OK form the box but I just gave it 5 mins on my waterstons and it is lovely. Aaaahhh...

Tony,
As Alf pointed out, the Cliftons are a great choice-pretty much on a par with the Lie-Nielsens but considerably cheaper ( and made in Britain!). I have been singing their praises a bit recently and really recommend them.
(By the way, I have a #4, #5 and #7 Cliftons so am putting my money where my mouth is!)
regards,
Philly

Best put my money where my mouth is too.......Like Philly I have a #5 and I use it for just about everything at the moment. I can't fault it really, the build quality is pretty good, but not as good as the LN's, but thats where your extra money goes! I would also have to agree with Alf, if you want a LN then best spend you money on something that you are going to use all the time or get a finishing plane like a #4.

SimonA

Tony":kbh0iw6x said:
The thing that really sold this one to me in the end is the grub screws in the sides for blade alignment and the small brass knob at the rear.

Cost me around £93 with postage and it arrived within 2 weeks which was really impressive from Canada.

Yes, having the blade held square with the grub screws appealed to me too. And at that price, well it's pretty darn good, isn't it? If only I liked its looks more :?

BTW, the best resource to put names to pictures is probably Blood & Gore which you may have already found. Well worth repeated visits though. :D

Cheers, Alf

Anyone live in the midlands and have either a LN or clifton 3,4,5 plane that I could come over and see?

I would really like a chance to see and possibly take a few shavings with one of these before spending loads of cash. I promise to wipe the drool off when I've done :)

Cheers

Tony

You might like to think about a 5 1/2 rather than a 5. Your "guru" DC recommended that size to me some years ago and I have been very happy with it as a plane you can pick up and use in many, many situations. I have an old Stanley that I picked up on ebay that I have set up to take a fairly rank cut and a LN which is set up for a very fine cut and I use it a lot for smoothing. It is heavy but you soon get used to the weight.

Chris

Back