Lie Nielsen tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shed9,
They have a Clifton 770 bullnose at £126, a Clifton 410 shoulder at £174.50, a 420 shoulder at £187.50, a 310 at £210, and a 400 shoulder at £73.50. They have No5 jack at £318, a No. 6 Fore at £348, and a 51/2 at £324.
They also have a number of Clifton replacement blades.

Fill your socks, boys!
Those planes are not in stock though unfortunately......They may be listed but you need to tick the 'in stock' filter to confirm availability.

OMG Guys!
First, some tools get used and some don’t. LN makes a bit over 20,000 tools per year. So if a handful wind up as gifts or impulse buys that don’t get used, I get that. And with the market what is you can’t blame them.

LN has been working like mad men to catch up. COVID shut them down for three months: that is a loss of 25 percent of a years production. Not easy to make up.

Then add in the crazy COVID demand curves and every one is hurting.

The Cliftons are on par with the LN planes. Not bad for such a small operation. If I got a new Clifton, I would refinish it with British racing green as that was traditional. A damn fine plane and their block plane is quite nice and unusual.

LN production numbers have been on the rise with slight relief in some inventory’s as noted. The same observations on this side of the pond. 5.5 jacks are much easier to get now.

The two foundaries LN uses have also been hit hard as they are family owned businesses. But things are moving forward.

LN is running at full head count with some new employees. So some re-training goes without saying. Good news is some production slots are opening up for core two tools. LN will have a batch of 51s available at the end of April.

I have been struggling to find LN tools needed to fill tooling voids in my shop. The 51 is one of them. I recently got a 5.5 jack to replace my Fulton 5 jack. I am not selling the LN tools as they all are users.

I would like to find a LN 49 T&G plane and the fixed cab scraper, the 85 as I recall. The price of 85s are crazy right now.

Would also like to find a LN bronze #4 to retire my grand papa’s bedrock 604. I don’t want to use it for work due to family value.

In short things are getting better and I am happy. The info above is from an email by Thomas himself.

Same here. No worries. I scan the LN website each morning over coffee. Managed to get the 5.5 jack. Still after the 51. I do like the 60 1/2 block full width and the Clifton block. If we can pull out of this COVID mess, it may be an expensive year for the shop.

I looked at some stuff on the D&W furniture site. URL listed above. Holy Cow are those guys good!

Wow! I have an 85 that I've never quite grown to like!
To be fair, it's the sold prices you need to look at not the asking. That said the 85's seem to fluctuate all over, I've seen the go for around £300 and as much as over £500 in recent months. I think the 85 is discontinued so it's likely to increase over time.

To be fair, it's the sold prices you need to look at not the asking. That said the 85's seem to fluctuate all over, I've seen the go for around £300 and as much as over £500 in recent months. I think the 85 is discontinued so it's likely to increase over time.
These are tools are not investments! I’m curious what the three Wenzloff saws I have are worth!

Given their value used is sometimes many times the RRP, clearly they are investments. It is the very definition of an investment.
I doubt very many are purchased as an investment. Until the pandemic, the best that could be said was a LN tool holds its value and when you tire of it, you could probably sell for what you have in it.

To me, when I bought the 85, it was a tool. I do not save boxes and I care not if it gets banged around.

I doubt very many are purchased as an investment. Until the pandemic, the best that could be said was a LN tool holds its value and when you tire of it, you could probably sell for what you have in it.

To me, when I bought the 85, it was a tool. I do not save boxes and I care not if it gets banged around.
I agree, I doubt many are bought for investment purposes and I also hope they aren't but my point is they are a product which clearly has a track record of holding and increasing value. Regardless of the reasons for purchase they are technically an investment is all I'm saying.

It’s not an investment I would go for. It’s a COVID bubble that is a pain in the rear when you need one. LN is working hard to get thru this bubble. Don’t forget they have the patterns and programs. As soon as they get breathing room, there goes your investment.

It’s not an investment I would go for. It’s a COVID bubble that is a pain in the rear when you need one. LN is working hard to get thru this bubble. Don’t forget they have the patterns and programs. As soon as they get breathing room, there goes your investment.
That COVID bubble hasn't quite popped yet, we have a gas and by extension a world wide power issue that will impact logistics and industrial processes for the next decade at least and to top it all off, inflation is at a 40 yr high in the US.

In addition to this brief synopsis of the return to norm you think is happening, Lie Nielsen has consistently gone up in price since they started making planes and that increase far exceeds the basic interest rates comparative to standard financial savings.

Back