Lie Nielsen smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luthier49

Established Member
Reaction score
Just received my first new Lie Nielsen number 4 bronze smoothing plane from Axminster Power Tools. This is the first time I`ve held a L N and I`m not sorry I lashed out the asking price for it. This tool is absolutely fantastic and worth every penny. Ready to use straight out of the box, but I honed an edge
on the blade on an extra fine diamond stone and finished off on an Arkinsa stone and tested the tool on some rock maple. As you can see in the photo I managed to shave gosamer shavings from the wood. I measured the shavings at 4 to 5 thousands of an inch. Well pleased with my purchase.
LieNielsenPlane.jpg

Hi Bob,

That sure is a pretty plane and those LN 4 in bronze are heavy little pippers!

Looks like you got the 45 degree frog is that correct?

Think you will find that plane will produce whisper free, tearout free shavings if you sharpen it up well.

I am envious!

Cheers
Dan Clermont

Welcome Bob--and thanks for the temptation. I never got around to owning a bronze #4. And now that I decided to sell off most of my planes (and did), I fear I may not get the opportunity...

Mike
I must be strong...I must be strong...

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes Dan the frog is a 45 degree. I might purchase the York pitch 50 degree frog at a later date because I do work in some difficult timbers making acoustic guitars. I`ll see how this frog copes with wild grain first. I would rather have had a Performax thickness drum sander than this plane, but as I don`t have the workshop space for such a machine I`ll have to plane the back and top of the guitars I build by hand. I do have a long case clock and coffee table to build some time. I might build these in American Cherry which is one of my favourite woods to work with. You`ll all get to see the build progress of these when I get started.

Hi Bob,

Not to push you further down the slope :wink: but if it were me I wouldn't buy the 50 degree frog unless is was attached to the LN 5.5 or 7 simply cause you end up with an extra blade, chipbreaker and frog you can interchange between planes

I really like the LN 5.5 which weighs 1.5 times the 4.5 and is the equivalent of the English Panel plane.

Cheers
Dan Clermont

Luthier":1vjwbohz said:
I would rather have had a Performax thickness drum sander than this plane, but as I don`t have the workshop space for such a machine

What a statement to make, I feel sorry for the plane :lol:

I agree with Dan, the frog is no good unless its attached to another plane.

Oh I don't know. Being a rebel and all.

While I did shudder a bit at an "instead of" statement (sorry Bob)...the small Performax I have--the 10-20 model--gets used a lot on small work, and nearly all my assembled, veneered jewelry box lids. Wouldn't be without it, really.

Take care, Mike

What I should have said was I would have purchased a Performax, (if I had the workshop space) BEFORE I purchased a Lie Nielson. There, have I redeemed myself? Infact I`m thinking of purchasing ANOTHER Lie Nielson in the form of the larger scraper plane he makes. Have I double redeemed myself? Yes Mike they are very useful machines, even more so for guitar making, but as I`m only a hobbyist, I don`t mind hand planing, especially with this new baby.

Bob":ixfru6mo said:
Infact I`m thinking of purchasing ANOTHER Lie Nielson in the form of the larger scraper plane he makes. Have I double redeemed myself?

Bob

I think you'll need to show the purchase first.

luthier49":1pstp60t said:
What I should have said was I would have purchased a Performax, (if I had the workshop space) BEFORE I purchased a Lie Nielson. There, have I redeemed myself?
Still needs work...

luthier49":1pstp60t said:
Infact I`m thinking of purchasing ANOTHER Lie Nielson in the form of the larger scraper plane he makes. Have I double redeemed myself?
Oh dear, it's all going wrong again. No, no, you want the Veritas. :roll: ](*,) :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Bob

If it were me I would hold off on buying a scraper plane until you need one.

I have watched Rob Cosman plane some pretty stunning hihgly figured boards without any tearout. ROb's plane of choice last I saw was a LN 4.5 with a 45 degree frog.

A couple of years ago I called Rob (our Canadian LN sales rep) and inquired about scraper planes. After a short conversation Rob told me I should be able to plane figured maple without tearout using a plane and not a scraper. I bought the LN 5.5 with HA frog and for the past two years have had no need for a scraper plane :cry:

If you are set on buying more hand tools look at a good block plane, shoulder plane or a dovetail saw. But whatever you do don't you dare buy a sander :? cause once you are able to plane a board sanding is considered a step backwards IMO

Cheers
Dan Clermont

I would rather have had a Performax thickness drum sander than this plane, but as I don`t have the workshop space for such a machine I`ll have to plane the back and top of the guitars I build by hand.

Bob.... trust me.... both your heart and lungs will love you for making this choice...

Latest posts

Back