Lie Nielsen Rabbet Plane or Shoulder Plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope you all had a merry xmas and a good new years celebration.

I've come out of my hibernation and i'm looking to build a better tool-kit. One of the things on my list is something to help clean up rabbets and tenons, currently I have nothing other than chisels that can do this job.

I've been looking at shoulder planes, and also the lie-nielsen rabbet block plane, what would you recommend as the more versatile, and would the rabbet block plane be able to clean up tenons like a shoulder, and can it be used on a shooting block, or will the blade dig in as it's pushed along?

Also, for cutting grooves and rabbets, is a stanley 78 a good idea, or should I pay a little more and go for one of the stanley or record plough/combination planes?

As always, any advice is welcomed.

Hi BB
The L-N rabbet block cant be used for shooting-neither can any shoulder plane where the blade is fully exposed. The rabbet is good for cleaning up tenons and rabbets but a dedicated shoulder plane is useful for dado's/grooves.
A 78 (or Record equiv) is a great tool to try-easy(ish) to get to grips with and pretty cheap! The combo planes are a little trickier so a 78 will help you get "knack" :wink:
Another useful plane is the Stanley 92 or 93 shoulder plane. Also converts to a bullnose for double the fun.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

BB

I have the LN Rabbet and a couple of veritas shoulder planes. For celaning up tenons, I use mostly the rabbet for the faces and the shoulder planes for the shoulders. Surprised?

I think that the Rabbet is generally much more useful than the shoulder and i count it as on of my best and most used planes - last one I iused yesterday in fact as it also makes a very useful low angle block plane.

I bought the rabbet about a year before the shoulder planes and would do it this way again

Thanks for all the info guys.

I've recently won a record 'improved' combination 50 plane - so that takes care of creating the rabbets/grooves.

I've also placed an order for the LN rabbet block - i'm really looking forward to receiving it. I've already got an LN 102 which I love, and if the rabbet performs as well as that i'll be very satisified.

Back