Lie Nielsen prices/deals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Lie Nielsen or any of their distributors (Axminster/Classic Handtools etc) have regular or even infrequent sales/deals on their tools, in particular their hand planes.

Just wondered as Veritas seem to be lowering their prices, or at least at Axminster.

Regards

David

If veritas prices are lower, it might be currency related. The canadian dollar has weakened considerably vs. the USD and the quid.

Lie Nielsen doesn't do much in terms of offering sales (they don't allow retailers to have them over here, either). If they allow sales in the UK, it would be a departure from their practices in the US.

The Veritas lowering of prices would appear to be across the board (in fact I think it is actually all Lee Valley) and for all UK sellers (as confirmed by Peter Sefton on a separate thread). The reason seems shrouded in secrecy and it is rather odd that nobody has made a big song and dance about it. As you say, it will be interesting to see if others feel the need to respond to bring their prices back to the previous pricing point relative to Veritas. Fingers crossed they will feel the need to do so :) .

Terry.

D_W

Maybe more likely down to the fact that we can get them cheaper from Germany.

From the Clifton block plane thread 21/7/15

Stiff competition out there, especially with the strong pound at the moment.

Veritas block plane with 3 dimples = 147 euros
Bat Plane DX60 with 1 long dimple= 174 Euros
Buy both and get free delivery = 321 Euros / £224

Prices from Dictum

Today 321 Euros = £232

Dictum prices unchanged today and Axminster now charging
3 dimples = £123 converted = 170 Euros
DX60 = £140 converted = 193 Euros

Just had a look at the Lie Neilsen 4 1/2
Dictum = 363 Euros
Axminster = £250 converted = 345 Euros

phil.p":14h2sz4k said:
Why's that then, David - do you need to buy more planes to sell? :D

:D Partly true, still, I could invest my wedge in fags n booze and just fritter the rest.

Thanks for the response all.

David

My extremely limited Knowledge of marketing suggests you want to be careful doing this. It's a big risk to be seen as a cheaper brand and it is much much harder to take a brand up than it is to take it down market. Still though, 25% cheaper than the equivalent Clifton or LN does make it tempting.

D_W":zs1akuy0 said:
If veritas prices are lower, it might be currency related. The canadian dollar has weakened considerably vs. the USD and the quid.

Lie Nielsen doesn't do much in terms of offering sales (they don't allow retailers to have them over here, either). If they allow sales in the UK, it would be a departure from their practices in the US.

Surely that is what used to be called restrictive practice, and was the reason Festool lost control over their European dealers?

I've bought a Lie Nielsen tools from both Axminster and Classic Hand Tools, and have never noticed them stating any price drop. However, I'm sure the LN low angled jack is cheaper now that it's ever been - £188 inc VAT. I'm sure it was over £200 not that long ago. I could be talking my usual rubbish though.

Speak to Alex at CHT and ask if there's any deals on the go (please let us know if there are) - the guy's a gentleman and a really nice guy to deal with. I'm absolutely fed up going onto the Axminster web site and seeing 'out of stock' on practically everything - especially Lie Nielsen tools. They have lost so much of my business due to their constant stock issues.

Jonny

Bluekingfisher":q41jqsm4 said:
phil.p":q41jqsm4 said:

:D Partly true, still, I could invest my wedge in fags n booze and just fritter the rest.

David

Well at least you won't lose much money with Lie-Nielsen

The LN 60 1/2 from Axminster = £127.20

almost new on ebay = £114.80
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lie-Nielsen-B ... 7675.l2557

Very used and no iron = £81.54
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lie-Nielsen-6 ... 3f53c38d0d

Axminster sell the irons for £27 so £81.54 is bloomin expensive for a well used one.

Mr_P":20qof4je said:
Bluekingfisher":20qof4je said:
phil.p":20qof4je said:

David

Well at least you won't lose much money with Lie-Nielsen

The LN 60 1/2 from Axminster = £127.20

almost new on ebay = £114.80
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lie-Nielsen-B ... 7675.l2557

Very used and no iron = £81.54
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lie-Nielsen-6 ... 3f53c38d0d

Axminster sell the irons for £27 so £81.54 is bloomin expensive for a well used one.

As you have pointed out, some of their planes achieve almost new prices, however I have purchased a couple of their bench planes in recent months for approx half new prices. The ones I bought were in near new condition, so perhaps buyers prefer older well used tools :duno: either that or they get caught up in the bidding war and forget the true value of the item they are bidding on.

David

Just for the record, my local WoodCraft store has dropped the entire Lie Nielsen line of tools. As we say here in the USA, LN "got too big for their britches". Other woodworking stores may follow suit.

I am invested in the Veritas line, and glad of it.

AZdustdevil

Just for the record, my local WoodCraft store has dropped the entire Lie Nielsen line of tools. As we say here in the USA, LN "got too big for their britches". Other woodworking stores may follow suit.

I am invested in the Veritas line, and glad of it.

AZdustdevil

That's a store by store relationship for ln as they cut out woodcraft corporate long ago.

I think ln realizes they don't need anyone marketing their planes at this point if they have to give up about 30% of the retail price. They can't keep planes stocked on their own webpage.

Both they and lv have done a good job not raising their prices.

yeah, it was a little odd.

"as we say in the USA" isn't particularly accurate, either. LN is generally held in higher regard than woodcraft, and the whole friction issue here started with LN trying to grow comfortably rather than trying to overextend themselves or jack up the price of their goods to cover a huge loan.

That's what I gathered reading between the lines (LN talking about their bank determining how much or how fast they'd expand, and WC stores talking about wanting more supply -the two are at odds).

Realistically, is it worth it as a buyer for LN to give WC some percentage to get the tool to me? No. Not sure what that percent is, but I'd guess it's probably 30% or so, give or take, as woodcraft employees turned their noses up at buying the remaining LN planes for 20% off when the relationship ended.

LN did what made sense - they took on the retailing themselves and kept the margin and grew some, but not an amount they couldn't sustain. We benefited as customers as the quality remained high and the prices nearly unchanged.

Latest posts

Back