Lie Nielsen Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not asking a previously well discussed question but, following a Jim Bode sale item, I've just had a look at the LN website and they appear not to be offering no.1 or no. 2 bench planes anymore. I realise that these are not the most widely useful tools but from idle curiosity I wonder whether this is a policy decision on their part or a Covid sales reaction. Or, most likely, am I just stupid and not looking right?

I don't see the No. 1 plane on the LN site either. I bought one from LN last August, and when I check my online order history, the entry for the No. 1 plane is no longer an active link on the invoice like the other items on the same order. The replacement plane iron and chip breaker for the No. 1 are still on the LN website, but the iron is not in stock.

Somebody posted this podcast on another thread which I found interesting:

https://pca.st/82me6ron
Basically they talk to Thomas LN about the shortages. No idea if the planes in question will be produced again, but listening to this is sounds like it won't be any time soon. They essentially say that they're super behind with booming demand and covid closedown and so are only producing the most popular tools for the time being.

Looks like they're no longer sold, I found a page that linked to the LN site for the No. 1 that was from July 2019, but the link now says page not found. Probably due to the level of sales - does anyone use a No. 1 plane these days?!

Not sure if the same thing is true over there, but I sold two LN planes this year (used) on a straight up auction starting at a penny and the only trouble I had was fending off some crabby bidders claiming that I was shill bidding or had a shill. The combination sold for 25% more than new cost.

I wasn't selling them hoping for a windfall and didn't even know of the bloated values, but it was a nice surprise.

Can't say much about the 2 other than that I have fairly small hands for a man (3.5" across the knuckles) and still found it a bit small.

An English friend of mine who definitely came from apes and lives here in the states actually has the LN 2. The reason he came from apes? 4.75" across the knuckles. No clue why he ever bought an LN 2.

Looks like they're no longer sold, I found a page that linked to the LN site for the No. 1 that was from July 2019, but the link now says page not found. Probably due to the level of sales - does anyone use a No. 1 plane these days?!

Has anyone in the last 75 years? Their rarity here in the states (the stanley type) makes them high priced, and some of the early demand for LN's was probably just frustration in trying to get a stanley one. I have met a single person who uses a stanley 1 and claims they do because it makes a good block plane.

Not met anyone using a 2 for practical things, either.

Not sure if the same thing is true over there, but I sold two LN planes this year (used) on a straight up auction starting at a penny and the only trouble I had was fending off some crabby bidders claiming that I was shill bidding or had a shill. The combination sold for 25% more than new cost.

I wasn't selling them hoping for a windfall and didn't even know of the bloated values, but it was a nice surprise.

Can't say much about the 2 other than that I have fairly small hands for a man (3.5" across the knuckles) and still found it a bit small.

An English friend of mine who definitely came from apes and lives here in the states actually has the LN 2. The reason he came from apes? 4.75" across the knuckles. No clue why he ever bought an LN 2.

Better returns than the stock market.

I bought a No 2 from ebay, cleaned it up and love it.
All those smaller jobs? Perfect.
I tape over the name and pretend it's posh.
It is sharp though? Easy to sharpen with that small blade.

Wish I would have saved my LN boxes (said tongue in cheek).

Here in the states, raw materials are significantly increasing, with steel and copper leading the charge. With the COVID problem, and government handouts, we’re in a very inflationary time.

I have an old original Stanley No 2 that I got for a good price some years ago. I don't have big hands but find it cumbersome to use, I can see the crossover in terms of it being seen as a block plane for some but it doesn't work for me. Given the prices for even No 2's these days I can see it going up on the Bay soon. That said, I'm finding it hard to justify holding onto some of my LN's with the recent price hikes.
I have a few No 3's including a LN bronze and I find these to be the perfect sweet spot in small bench plane sizing. I much prefer working with a No 3 to a No 4.

I can't see the LN supply issue being resolved anytime soon with LN's own sustainable business plan, just hope it doesn't impact cost too much going forward and push them into infeasible pricing structures.

Ha mine are just shy of over 5 inch spades they be haha

I can't see the LN supply issue being resolved anytime soon with LN's own sustainable business plan, just hope it doesn't impact cost too much going forward and push them into infeasible pricing structures.

They're in Maine. Maine's not really a profit taker kind of society, so there isn't much to worry about in terms of future pricing. But Maine is also a state where nobody gets hyper when a supply of a non essential item gets behind, so supply could be an issue for a while.

Ha mine are just shy of over 5 inch spades they be haha

you may be related to my English friend! My friend is now retired, but was an engineering manager. I tease him that it's a shame he didn't get to put his giant mitts to work. I won't spell in writing what he calls me as my hands are just a smidge over 3 1/2" wide at the knuckles, and despite their small size, I've got good hand strength - but I cannot get a grip on any of his shop made gadgets that are sized to his hand span. He's barely taller than me, either - his mother must've spent too much time in the fluoroscope or something.

They're in Maine. Maine's not really a profit taker kind of society, so there isn't much to worry about in terms of future pricing. But Maine is also a state where nobody gets hyper when a supply of a non essential item gets behind, so supply could be an issue for a while.
Their prices have been quite consistent through the years so here's hoping.

I've noticed some supplies have started to trickle back into stock in the UK recently. Picked up a rebate block and shoulder plane in the last few weeks which had been on my want list for the last year.

I think LN's prices have gone up here stateside perhaps 15 or 20% over 16 years. But it may be less than that, too. The one thing that's changed here is that you could always automatically find an internet retailer selling 10% below list with free shipping and no tax.

LN squashed selling below list price so that they could direct traffic back to their website and now sales tax is automatically collected in the US (and shipping if LN's web front is the only place with a plane), so there has been a fairly stiff effective price increase.

I don't mind any of that, though - they're principled and consistent and they did what they said they'd do - they put their own people on the road to show the planes at events rather than having them in glass cases at stores or inaccessible in some places (e.g., some retailers had them in cases and didn't allow any hands on touching or use of the planes pre-purchase, and some did have legitimate issues with theft).

I bought one unknowingly at one point from a gray market seller, and though it doesn't seem odd now, at the time when it took a month to get the plane, I wasn't that happy. I think the gray market leaker was japan woodworker (though the secondary seller wasn't them)...

...well, since this is written in public and JWW may not like that, the seller actually told me that JWW was selling wholesaled planes to them and then they were reselling, so you'd make an order on this person's site, then they'd go to JWW and see if they had them and you had no clue how many donkeys the planes had to be transferred to and from before the last donkey dropped the plane off at your door.

If you need a plane or other item from them which is no longer listed, they hold a waiting list which you can add your name to and they do a special run now and then when they have enough demand. They do this with the excellent mitre plane on a regular basis.

Back