Lie Nielsen mouth adjustment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed some time ago that on the block plane, clockwise (looking down) opens the mouth, but on a 62 jack, anti-clock opens the mouth. Mine are both about 6 years old and things may have changed, but I have to remember which is which. Now why would someone as fussy as Tom do a thing like that?

If the cams (IIRC) are just sheet metal, can the offending cam be removed, flipped and replaced?

BugBear

sadly not BB - the cams are rivetted to sole, with an upturned tab to front which makes turning over not an option. I live with it of course, just a strange decision (oversight even?)

Mine are the same, Douglas, clockwise to open on 9 1/2 and 60 1/2 block planes and the reverse on the LAJ, all 4 years old.

To be honest, I had never even noticed until now!

That explains it!

I'm ambidextrous, which means it isn't obvious which way things should be turned. If you're left-handed then you know your instinct is normally wrong and can compensate, for me, I normally look at the thread form and work it out, but my LN plane mouth adjustments always seem to be tricky, I've jsut checked, same here, they go different ways, that's why I can't get used to it.

Aidan

Back