Lie Nielsen large shoulder plane 073

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaWoodster

Established Member
Reaction score
I was at Axminster on Saturday debating which shoulder plane to purchase but couldn’t pull the trigger due to the prices.
I looked on eBay when I got home and managed to win a LN 073 for £103 from a seller who had several different LN planes listed from their collection, the seller also had great feedback.
When I looked at the completed listings of the seller I now see this is the third LN 073 they have sold this year, which makes me question if the item I won was actually part of a collection or not.
Call me paranoid but this raises the hairs on the back of my neck.
Do collectors often have multiples of the same item like this?
Is there such a thing as a counterfeit LN plane?

As long as you paid through e-bay or PayPal I should not worry, both will re-fund your monies if the item is not as described in the listing.

Exactly my point about the item not being as described in the listing.

DaWoodster":2equ4ah1 said:
I’m not worried about the item not arriving, I’m worried that it might be a Chinese knock off.

It's very unlikely this is a Lie Nielsen knock off with a Lie Nielsen brand. And besides you would be able to tell quite quickly if this is a copy based on overall finish and quality. I also wouldn't worry about the veracity of the seller in terms of they being a collector or not - people that collect Lie Nielsens in the first place are not your average buyer or seller of tools.

And as pointed out you're protected whatever turns up.

Edit; just found the listing, the seller has 100% positive feedback over 679 transactions and that looks very much like a Lie Nielsen. You really have little to worry about other than you now need to buy more Lie Nielsens.

It's my 1st Lie Nielson, I couldn't resist having a bid at that price considering I was expecting to get a Rider for the money I was willing to part with...
The Chinese are putting out some incredibly high-quality knock-offs these days, how would I know what to look for?
Has anyone heard of any LN counterfeits before?

Probably to know if its genuine when it arrives, you will need to compare it to the genuine article, difficult if you have only ever bought knock offs before. LOL

DaWoodster":1b38qngf said:
It's my 1st Lie Nielson, I couldn't resist having a bid at that price considering I was expecting to get a Rider for the money I was willing to part with...
The Chinese are putting out some incredibly high-quality knock-offs these days, how would I know what to look for?

That is a very good price and money well spent.

DaWoodster":1b38qngf said:
Has anyone heard of any LN counterfeits before?

Personally, no, never.....

The photos in the other 2 073 auctions are identical, so I am going to assume the 2nd sale was a relisting of the 1st after the buyer didn't pay.
I can understand a collector having both a mint-in-box and a user tool, so I'm probably worried over nothing.

Back