Lie-nielsen block plane mouth adjuster not working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
I just tried to tweak the mouth on my block plane and it was not working. The pivot pin has dropped inside and is not engaging with the lever.

Here you can see that the pin is flush with the top of the pivot hole.

6782669394_2980205a01.jpg

I took it apart to see whats going on, but i think a piece is missing that somehow shims the pin upwards. I can't recall ever taking it apart before to break or loose a piece.
I am totally baffled, would apreciate if some kind soul could unscrew the front of a plane to see it the parts match what have.

6782669774_9432636fb9.jpg

Cheers
Tom

Dunno but my guess is that the pin wants putting back in the brass cam lever thing and hitting with a hammer to make it a tight fit i.e. hit the thin end of the pin. Perhaps a bit of superglue as well?

I don't know why LN bother with those pins and levers. It would work just as well without them. Veritas don't use them. Just loosen the brass knob and use it to slide the mouth plate backwards and forwards (but fit a washer under the brass knob).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Yeah, the pin should be in the cam lever. Like this:

lablockcampin.jpg

Shouldn't have dropped out like that. Tsk.

Attachments

• lablockcampin.jpg
    lablockcampin.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 921
Ahhh... mystery solved thanks alf

so whats the best way to jam it back in? I could squeeze the lever in a vice close the hole a bit or perhaps superglue as Jocob suggested

An old fitter's trick is to centre-punch a couple of marks on the loose pin, to raise a burr or two, thus re-establishing the interference fit between the pin and adjuster. One either side should be enough. Then tap it into place with a hammer, or squeeze it back in with a fitters vice. You won't need much pressure with a pin that small.

If you don't fancy that, a dab of Superglue (or Loctite 603 if you have any) will be more than adequate. Degrease thoroughly first, though.

Or you could pein it - with the pin in place, and its other end square against a flat, immovable object such as a lump hammer held in the vice, holding it by the handy handle provided on the cam, very light taps with a small (1/4lb) ball pein hammer round the edge of the pin. Not using enough force to upset the other end of the pin, no heavy dents, just gentle persuasion to expand the thin end enough to be tight.

Think I'd go with superglue myself; if it didn't work, then play with hammers and such. But then metalwork and I get on like a maison en flambé. Lots of drama and swearing...

I'd glue it in and then punch the centre of the pin, that'll flare it out and make it a permanent fit

Aidan

Back