Lie Nielsen A2 Steel.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
OK I've had this LN no4 for a while now, the blade has been re-ground out of necessity a few times. This has been mainly due to little nicks in the blade forming when the edge crumbles, I usually only use native/euro timbers like oak, ash, sycamore, hardly demanding timbers.I thought I would give it one more grind at the factory settings, just to see if it would be okay, no.
So I have tried regrinding the primary bevel to 30°, though I'm not convinced this makes any difference, I have made the secondary bevel about 34/35°, its still crumbling....have I got a duff blade?

sounds like there's something way wrong there... are you keeping the blade cool while grinding? Contact L-N and advise of the issue, they should make arrangements for an exchange through your supplier

mtr1":27qd02qi said:
OK I've had this LN no4 for a while now, the blade has been re-ground out of necessity a few times. This has been mainly due to little nicks in the blade forming when the edge crumbles, I usually only use native/euro timbers like oak, ash, sycamore, hardly demanding timbers.I thought I would give it one more grind at the factory settings, just to see if it would be okay, no.
So I have tried regrinding the primary bevel to 30°, though I'm not convinced this makes any difference, I have made the secondary bevel about 34/35°, its still crumbling....have I got a duff blade?

As you know this is not a unique problem but it shouldn't be as bad as that and it should certainly be cured by honing at >=33 deg which you are. Send it back.

I'd also suggest sending it back, Mark. I have an A2 blade in my LN #9 which is used mainly for shooting end grain and I've not had the sort of trouble you are having. Might be better off going for one of their 01 steel blades :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I don't think I'm grinding it wrong, I 'm using a creusen slow speed grinder with the wide (40mm) white stone, with frequent breaks, and haven't had any issues with other stuff I've re-ground. I've contacted Aximister, and its going to their sharpening experts for testing, so we shall see what happens. I did ask for a straight swap to an O1 iron, but they have to test it first. Though I'm not convinced the problem lies in the A2 just my one, as my 60 1/2 iron is superb.

mtr1":2750m79l said:
I'm not convinced the problem lies in the A2 just my one, as my 60 1/2 iron is superb.

From previous posts about LN tools and crumbly edges, I think there is some variability in their A2 blades.

Paul

Well if that is the case I don't want another A2 iron, do you think they might swap it? once its passed the expert sharpener!! I can see problems convincing the sharpening expert that the iron is duff, because its OK for a bit then the dreaded lines appear. what if he/she just gives it a few strokes, the problem won't surface. I can feel a conversation like some of the sharpening threads on here soon, give me strength!!!

If you have any problems, contact LN direct - either Tom Lie Nielsen or Deneb Puchalski. They have a good track record of keeping their customers happy.

Paul

mtr1":10pbpc8u said:
Well if that is the case I don't want another A2 iron, do you think they might swap it? once its passed the expert sharpener!! I can see problems convincing the sharpening expert that the iron is duff, because its OK for a bit then the dreaded lines appear. what if he/she just gives it a few strokes, the problem won't surface. I can feel a conversation like some of the sharpening threads on here soon, give me strength!!!

I would wait to see what conclusion Axminster come to first, they are normally quite reasonable when it comes to customer care.

Mick

Paul Chapman":20vnph0j said:
mtr1":20vnph0j said:
I'm not convinced the problem lies in the A2 just my one, as my 60 1/2 iron is superb.

From previous posts about LN tools and crumbly edges, I think there is some variability in their A2 blades.

Paul

I agree. My LN 4 1/2 has never missed a beat honed to 30 deg and yet I had a skew rebate that crumbled like crunchie bar.

Sounds like it has been over-hardened to me which has made it brittle.

Jim

It seems Lie Nielsen have seen this, and are shipping me a new iron regardless of what conclusions Axminster comes to. Very good service I think.

That's great service! Well done LN!

It's at times like this that I kick myself for not buying the limited edition bronze 4 1/2 years ago. I had it in my basket but the voice of reason told me that I didn't "need" another plane. I'll never listen to the voice of reason again!

Another reminder that we are being observed from Mt. Olympus 8-[

Excellent service from LN. =D>

Mark, are they sending you a replacement A2 or an O1?

They gave me the option for either, but in the end I went with the A2 again, with the option that if I don't get on with it they would swap it for O1.

As a side note, I'm still waiting for Axminster to send me a packing label to send the old iron for testing.

I'm impressed :!: :!: Especially if they approached you 'cold' as a result of hearing about your problem iron.

And they gave you the choice of replacement steels.

Well done Lie-Nielsen (and I thought only Lee Valley were that good (hammer) )

Cheers, Vann.

That's pretty impressive from LN, they've clearly got their business heads on.

My LN jack plane is sometimes slightly large for smaller smoothing jobs, if only I had a smaller version... (sitting back and waiting expectantly now) :)

Aidan

Wow, that is excellent service indeed. It is certainly the sort of thing that would sway heavily future purchase decisions.... And whether it is a PR thing or not is utterly immaterial, it shows they care for their customers.

Adam S

TheTiddles":co0zgs48 said:
That's pretty impressive from LN, they've clearly got their business heads on.

My LN jack plane is sometimes slightly large for smaller smoothing jobs, if only I had a smaller version... (sitting back and waiting expectantly now) :)

Aidan

Get in the queue, I've already put my hat in the ring with the 4 1/2 :wink:

Back