lidl power ext thingy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as long as you realsie that all those sockets only have a 13 amp fuse to cover everything, no probs.
But you would need to make a strain clip so that the whole thing isnt swinging from the tiny clamp inside the plug.

I have read somewhere that the built-in USB charger port is a bad idea, as it's effectively always on, and, depending on the quality of manufacture, could cause problems.

I'm just passing this along, I make no claims to be any expert of any sort(we've had enough of experts, after all).

If I were thinking of doing soething like that, I'd probably use something like this:
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Trailing-Socket/18-2495

The downsides to a charger being "permanently on" is firstly that it uses electricity even if nothing is connected. But as the cost of that is a lot less than a penny a month its not a deal breaker.
Secondly, as its a transformer, it has a finite life cycle. Even switches that are rated for a million operations will likely fail before they get to 2 million, and transformers will also, eventually fail. But even so, although being on 24 hours a day, that charger should last several years. And if like this, its on an extension lead that gets switched off, only the very cheapest of units are likely to fail in your lifetime.

Hanging from the ceiling would need the support of something akin to a cable, withou support it looks like a disaster in waiting.

John Brown":scse7ft9 said:
Why take the risk?
I doubt the OP is think of charging his phone from a dangling socket.
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.u ... m-so32.pdf
That report is 5 years old so not so valid now, buy from a reputable source, named manufacturer etc. there shouldn't be a problem. I've had two twin sockets with USB fitted for a year now (sourced from Screwfix) no problem to date.

You think build quality will have improved over the last five years?

Anyway, regardless of your anecdotal evidence, which reminds me of the farmer who tried feeding his horse on wood shavings, unless the OP wants to charge their phone hanging from the ceiling, I believe there are better, and probably cheaper, solutions.

As I said buy a reputable make, these sockets are now mainstream and manufacturers such as MK meet a raft of standards that those in the outdated report clearly don't. I'm not sure I would trust the Lidl one.
What you feed your horses is your problem.

Back