Library shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Butterfly double sided hinge concept is a great idea Pete. Presumably there is a centre strip at the back of the hinge, rebated into the wood, and the hinge itself is set within a vertical bead. I have never seen that before but it is a very neat idea.

Mike, can you comment on the process? Will you finalise a design and then find someone to make it, or would you allow the person who produces it to have some input into the design and/or choice of materials? No real reason for asking, just curious.

@MikeG. Chapters XV and XVI of Modern Practical Joinery location 3691 of 6306 Kindle version.

Picture of hinge 3710

hth

Mike, can you comment on the process? Will you finalise a design and then find someone to make it, or would you allow the person who produces it to have some input into the design and/or choice of materials? No real reason for asking, just curious.

The design will be buttoned down to the finest visible detail, with all the mouldings and carvings drawn closely, the timber and finish specified, the ironmongery specified, and so on, before it goes to tender. The winning tenderer will then, as always, get a chance to comment on things and offer suggestions for improvements, but the final say-so will be with the architect. As an architect, I have learnt a lot from this process over the years, because those post-tender comments from experienced guys are like a free master-class for me.

Don't suppose you could post an image or two, could you? I'm struggling to visualise that from the description.

A T shaped item where the short leg of the T is attached to a divider's front. A post near top and bottom of the short leg of the T with a centred hole in each at the extremity carrying a pin between with a spike extending beyond the posts. The pin carries two leaves that fold back to back to each other. each leaf is screwed to a door edge, something like below.

On a side note, I use as a standard weight for books that each linear foot of shelf needs to support approximately 25 pound, i.e., ~11 kg per linear 300 mm. Those figures only really apply to standard books such as paperbacks, regular novels, standard dictionaries, typical textbooks, etc. Large format books, and other chunky items of literature grouped together in foot (300 mm) long batches obviously don't fit within the standard weight guidance I use for common book shelving. Slainte.

Butterfly-Hinge-Library-Door.jpg

Thanks Richard......nice drawing. So one pair of hinges carries 2 doors, and both can be opened to 90 degrees at the same time. Neat.

Thanks Richard......nice drawing. So one pair of hinges carries 2 doors, and both can be opened to 90 degrees at the same time. Neat.
Mike, I've only seen something like them once ... in an old library, one with doors funnily enough. I was involved in some repairs to nearby furniture and joinery when I had chance to have a bit of a look. I imagine the same pattern off the shelf is unlikely to be found easily, if at all, but maybe Armac Martin in Brum might be able to help. Otherwise, I guess you may have to get them custom made - not cheap I bet, but if in the end that happens to be what's required and the client is willing to shell out the used beer tokens, well ... it could be on. Slainte.

It's useful to have these in the back of the mind, but I can foresee a fluted "column" over every other divider, with doors hinged off each side. This could be with a mini Parliament hinge, again enabling 180 degree opening. This would get around the need for the butterfly-type hinge.

Just a thought, that if you could locate the library on the north side of the building, one could still have some reasonable window space with much less damage to the books.

The book Inspector refers to looks interesting. Published in 1908, quite a classic time in woodworking, It's on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=modern...c&hvqmt=p&tag=mh0a9-21&ref=pd_sl_902d3197e3_p
There's no need to pay Amazon for a scan of an old book, out of copyright and in the public domain.

Download Ellis here, in the format of your choice. PDF is best as the others will have been automatically produced using OCR.

https://archive.org/details/dli.granth.100246/page/n3/mode/2up

Thanks, Andy! I've downloaded it and it is most interesting. A good section on library shelving on page 182.

Last edited:
Here you go Mike. I would have posted earlier but a guy has to sleep a little. ;) Sgian Duba pretty much has it. I think the single bead in line with the hinge is not very intrusive visually compared to other options. Making them wouldn't necessarily be too hard to do especially with CNC machines but even on a manual machine it would be simple. Machining and drilling a bar of brass with a second operation to drill the hinge pin hole is simple enough and turning a replacement pin for a standard solid butt hinge would complete the machining. Then you would have to finish them with the polishing or patination of choice.
Pete

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    530.8 KB · Views: 31
Whilst nowhere near as good as the hinge in Ellis you could achieve the same result with cranked hinges. You would just offset them in height. whether it could look as neat would need a mock up but it would function.

I also note that Ellis recommends thin leather cladding for the shelves and sides where old/rare/valuable books are to go. This neatly evades the issues of contamination by the finish, and would look dead classy.

We'll certainly be having a conversation about that. There are all sorts of consultants involved with this project, and it's big enough that a sprinkler system would be considered.
Sure you are aware but if money is no object then ...
Have a look at argon based fire suppresion systems and Total Flooding Systems Mike.
https://www.firesuppression.co.uk/fire-suppression-systems-server-rooms.aspxhttps://www.dafo.se/en/Products/Fire-suppression-systems-buildings/Total-Flooding-Systems/

Back