Liberon wax stick

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I am just making some French knitting dollies 5 inches long for a craft fair I am doing next Saturday, just another item to add to the range. While it is still on the lathe I am sealing it with shellac cellulose sanding sealer and when it is well dry I use a green scouring pad to smooth it over and then use a Liberon wax stick, the one with bees wax and other things, its the brown one. When holding the polishing cloth on the turned piece while it is in motion, about 1200rpm I get the odd line appear which resembles a tool mark or torn grain for want of a better explanation and I am not very happy with it, several times I have sanded it all off and started again on different items. I like the wax stick finish on certain items. I also use Liberon lathe polish and have no problems with this for a more satin finish look. If anyone can throw any light on this I would be very grateful. Many thanks.

Geoff.

I enjoy long walks, especially when they are taken by people I don't like.

You are applying too much wax and not managing to spread it evenly.
Burnishing it with the lathe rotating is concentrating the surplus into build up streaks.

Many thanks Chas and Willy.

Soon after posting that I had a phone call from an old friend and I put the same question to him and he said I was putting to much on and running the lathe to fast when buffing up. Another lesson learnt.

Back