Leylandii

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
Until I saw the 6th post in https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/wood-id-please-and-thin-sided-bowl-t64356.html:
unless there was any leylandii in your firewood pile
I was under the impression that it was useless for anything woodwork- or woodturn-ish. I have a big pile of the stuff in a field, in logs anything up to a foot diameter, from chopping down a hedge that had been allowed to run away for decades. It's been sitting out in all weathers for a couple of years, is it worth me moving some indoors now and letting it dry and season naturally ?

Considering we turn practically anything we get our hands on why not? It's a very soft timber, but it might look good turned, got to be worth a try at least. I have not tried it myself so can give no clues as to any problem it might have (difficult to finish etc)

A friend of mine turned this from it the hat comes of and the head is hollow

Attachments

• 560478_529669887059000_719177000_n.jpg
    560478_529669887059000_719177000_n.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,340
If it has been lying outside for a considerable time you might find it is too late. The logs/trunks left stacked in my garden collected a whole host of critters and ended up as critter foder of wet rot compost.

Personally having spent time playing with it in the past, leylandii is now in my 'don't bother' category,
Still a good for shavings production if you are new to turning and don't get disapointed with the risk of achieving a lack of 'fine display pieces' at the end of a session though.

Odd, the leylandii I have turned was surprisingly hard and had some nice colouring in it. Definitely leylandii. Very plain cream, with some streaks of brown through it. Bottom line any wood is worth turning at least once in my book, if only for practice.

Pete

I have loads of it, cut spring this year, approximately 18" diameter and 5' lengths that's destined for firewood in a few years time. I guess some of it could get sidetracked...

It's horribly sappy, so can't imagine it being good for turning green!

These were made from Leylandii. Don't throw without first trying it.

Attachments

• large-leylandii.jpg
    large-leylandii.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 3,195
  • leylandii chalice gargantua.jpg
    leylandii chalice gargantua.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,192
Lovely stuff! Logs dry without much splitting. End grain turning works well and can give a very fine finish. It also has a powerful resinous smell and scents the air for weeks when you bring it indoors.

The lleylandi I have turned was nothing like pine, it is quite hard, lovely to turn except for the smell which is like cat pee. Maybe there are different species as I have heard people say it smells like pine, but none of the stuff I have turned smells nice, but it has all had great figuring and it finishes really well.

Regards
Peter

These were made from Leylandii and the colours are beautiful. However it is best turned green.

Attachments

• leylandi.JPG
    leylandi.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,780
Back