Leylandii

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mason

Reaction score
I was lucky enough today to spend a little time with a friend today while he planked felled wood from last year - some really nice western red cedar, but also some old Leylandii from mature 60/70ft trees. I was really suprised just how clean and knot free the planks came out...all were around 10/15ft at 8" wide and 3/4 - 1" thick. Why isn't this wood used more in construction? I've bought some at a reasononable price but he belives shifting this timber will be slow due to the bad name of Leylandii.
It's related to yellow cedar and shares so many of it's properties so all good there. Theres an abundance of these trees in his woods but no real market...any ideas.

Has anyone used this timber before? and, what for aside cladding?

Cheers, Tim.

Leylandii, that I have felled in my garden, up to about 250mm dia. and used around the plot as fence rails and posts compost heap frames etc. have all rotted away within 3-4 years. Non of it was treaded with preservative, but I would not regard it as very robust for outdoor use.

That's interesting CHJ. I know Leylandii are cedar hybrids from Yellow cedar - which has good anti rot/fungal properties, I was under the impression they shared the same, or similar resistance. The planks today were so clean, knot free, and really white light coloured. I'm considering making a barn construction with feather edge Leylandii and cedar shingles.

These are some of the last remnants of the tops, about 4 years old, 100-150mm pieces can easily be broken by hand, and are a haven for wildlife.
The larger stuff was no better as far as wildlife was concerned and was relegated to my neighbors wood burner or the garden fire bin over the last couple of years.

Don't know how it would perform if pressure treated.
DSCN3196 (Large).JPG
DSCN3197 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3196 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3196 (Large).JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCN3197 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3197 (Large).JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 407
ahh I see. These trunks were huge probably 20" + and from forested plantation from so maybe 40/50 years growth or more. The planks were taken at 8" wide x 1" but there was still room for 2 x 4s. I was so suprised at just how clean the wood was - I'll get some photo's and post them. There was however lots of scrap/fire/bio wood left from the felling - seems like you get a good 20' of wide straight wood before you get to branches on forest planted Laylandii - that might be the difference - the top 30 feet is pretty much impossible to use for anything more than log-burners and forest floor mulch.

Back