Leyland Trade Paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
I have got a new tub of Leyland Trade Paint which is a couple of years old. I opened it up yesterday and it had separated, so mixed it up and carried on. I came to do another coat this evening and it had separated again, but not quite so badly.

I have done 3 coats over a coat of Gardz on plasterboard (the stuff with a paper finish) but it still looks like it needs another 3 coats!

Does this stuff go off, or is it just how it is? Seems criminal to throw out a whole thing of paint!

Thanks

Pretty much how it is, some people are acceptable of the results it gives. I painted a freshly plastered ceiling, after it had dried for about a month, with 3 mist coats, followed by 3 top coats of Leyland and it looked grey after, some people couldn't see it, I could. Ended up buying Dulux Diamond in the end, lovely crisp white on the first coat, used it in the other rooms and did a quarter of the coats and got better results.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, paint is included, my default now is Dulux Diamond, even for mist coats, I hate painting so would rather spend more money and it look good first time round.

My brother in law had the same, it also produces a really dusty finish which caused problems with the satin on the walls bonding properly, it's still on there a year later but can be pulled off in sheets....

You'll definitely get mixed feedback, its definitely the marmite of paint.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Spragnut":2pfr5xkz said:
Pretty much how it is, some people are acceptable of the results it gives. I painted a freshly plastered ceiling, after it had dried for about a month, with 3 mist coats, followed by 3 top coats of Leyland and it looked grey after, some people couldn't see it, I could. Ended up buying Dulux Diamond in the end, lovely crisp white on the first coat, used it in the other rooms and did a quarter of the coats and got better results.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, paint is included, my default now is Dulux Diamond, even for mist coats, I hate painting so would rather spend more money and it look good first time round.

My brother in law had the same, it also produces a really dusty finish which caused problems with the satin on the walls bonding properly, it's still on there a year later but can be pulled off in sheets....

How strange. I used this paint in my workshop, sprayed it on using a Wagner - just two coats was all it needed and it looks very good. certainly no bleed through from the red/brown plywood walls or ceiling.

RogerS":2pb7magl said:
Spragnut":2pb7magl said:

How strange. I used this paint in my workshop, sprayed it on using a Wagner - just two coats was all it needed and it looks very good. certainly no bleed through from the red/brown plywood walls or ceiling.
I think the quality is really hit and miss. I remember using it 5 or 6 years ago and it was great. Might be a batch thing.

We use it a lot, and have never had any problems with it. On fresh plaster a mist coat followed by a proper coat normally comes out perfect. Decorating over old dirty paint only bleeds through on certain parts which a coat of stainblock followed by the Leyland sorts it out, but I am talking really dirty/grimy walls not your average house wall.

I recently bought a load of Leyland trade paint and think it's brilliant
Two coats of white covered the sunflower yellow perfectly
And one coat of bare plaster paint and one of this was great coverage
The Wickes trade I was using before that needed 5 coats to cover the same sunflower yellow elsewhere

When I buy a new tin of paint, I am not going to use immediately, I store the tin upside down for a few days to allow what's settled to re mix. Helps a lot with stirring.

HTH

John (hammer)

Leyland is a contract paint, Johnstones branded paints are professional range.

All cheaper paints fron the sheds is made down to a price.

Latest posts

Back