Lewin combination plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenko

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge of the above ?? I was given one recently and its of no use to me, for anything of that nature I'd prefer to use the router or Dremel. It's in a wooden box, in pretty decent condition and has about 20 blades.

They're mainly aluminium and on eBay fetch anywhere between £2-£35 according to completeness and condition.

I had one several years ago, whilst nice quality they were too light in my opinion, being made from aluminium and hence made for harder work

Tenko":30r1sxu4 said:
...for anything of that nature I'd prefer to use the router or Dremel.
Nobody's perfect...

Can't add anything to my page about them, really. I like it - perfectly usable light combination plane, with added funky retro styling. What more d'you want?

Hi All,

Probably the most unsaleable plane ever!
Don't know why as they work rather well.
There is one on the 'Bay for £65 at the moment, he will grow old waiting for it to sell.
I have about 6 of them, all boxed, all with cutters etc and the most I have ever got was £25 on EBay when started at £9.99!
Crazy really when you look at how well they are made.
I think the 'Six Fifteen' designation comes from what they cost new but I could be wrong here.

Cheers,
Martin

Sheesh, that's depressing. Understandable - people will always think of Stanley and Record first - but such a shame. It's a good plane!

On the other hand, this exactly the sort of reason why I dare not ever start using eBay. I wouldn't undoubtedly feel the need to re-home all the unwanted Lewins. :roll:

mahking51":2k50vxw0 said:
I think the 'Six Fifteen' designation comes from what they cost new but I could be wrong here.

Cheers,
Martin

That's definitely right - I've got an old Woodworker ad somewhere showing the price as £6 15s (unless it's one on Alf's site!)

The value seems to have stuck rather - it sounds like £6.75 is the going rate!

Anyone have any tips for setting the fence as when i tighten up the little cams adjusters on mine it moves the fence and the same for the other locking clamps on it too! Am i tightening them the wrong way or something or has someone had it apart and put them back in the wrong places etc maybe this is the norm for these? Any wisdom gratefully received!

urbanarcher":m6ci1hq5 said:
Anyone have any tips for setting the fence as when i tighten up the little cams adjusters on mine it moves the fence and the same for the other locking clamps on it too! Am i tightening them the wrong way or something or has someone had it apart and put them back in the wrong places etc maybe this is the norm for these? Any wisdom gratefully received!

All I can suggest is for you to de-grease the cams (Meths works really well) and re-seat them, as they rely more on a friction fit and normally lock into place fine. :wink:

Looking through some old magazines I've come by and found this in one of them ...
lewinplane.jpg

From The Woodworker December 1955

urbanarcher":2b696ups said:

I asked a similar question in an earlier thread about how to stop the blade from slipping - the answer was (a) to leave the back with a roughish grind, not polish it all, and (b) rub a bit of violinist's rosin on the blade. This might help with your problem too.

I'd also be interested in buying one from you Martin if you'd like to get rid of one. I'm currently doing a frame and panel dresser and am getting a bit fed up with all the noise and dust from the router for doing the grooves for the panels. I fancy trying the job with a hand tool to see how I get on.

Dave

Thanks Gaz pal i'll try what you suggest. Are the little cam locks all interchangeable or for a specific location? i've solved the problem with the blade by keeping a rough back and by using a little strip of fine wet and dry behind the blade seems to work for me! thanks for the info.
Ryan

urbanarcher":jo0d2rcy said:
Thanks Gaz pal i'll try what you suggest. Are the little cam locks all interchangeable or for a specific location? i've solved the problem with the blade by keeping a rough back and by using a little strip of fine wet and dry behind the blade seems to work for me! thanks for the info.
Ryan

Never a problem Ryan. The cams are interchangeable and are easily replaced - if necessary - using basic tooling and methods. I find Lewins tend to work best if oil is kept to an absolute minimum and like most tools are a dream to use once you're familiar with how they're best set up for your own purposes. My only other suggestion (If yours is boxed) is too make a basic lid for the blade storage block and 3mm ply works well enough for this. :wink:

I received one from Martin today! Thanks Martin, it looks great.

Questions:
There is the residue of black paint on this plane. Were they originally pained/japanned or would this be the residue of a past owner's paint job?
The plane was sold with 19 cutters. Did they make any other profiles? If so, are they readily available in the second hand market?
It's all tightening knobs, rods, bits and bobs, etc. Did they ever sell a manual for it? If so, does anyone have a copy?

Latest posts

Back