Levelling Radial Arm Saw Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw1664

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a secondhand dewalt RAS (1751 is the model number I think - its the one with the longer arm that lets you rip 8x4 sheets) but it has a very dodgy bit of old Kitchen worktop as the table. I want to replace it but I think (maybe misguidedly!) that it must be possible to improve on the original way of levelling the table which I feel is always tending to go out of alignment because of the way its built. Whilst I want to improve the original design I don't necessarily want to reinvent the wheel so I am trying to canvass the members here to see if anyone has any bright ideas I can shamelessly steal.
My thinking so far is to remove all of the original top and brackets. Build a new top along the lines of the "Mr Sawdust Table" widely discussed elsewhere on the web and then build a square frame from Unistrut that will sit on top of either a shop built stand or the original stand, and by the use of nuts secured to the unistrut, allow allen headed bolts set in the table in the traditional manner, to raise and lower the four corners of the unistrut frame. My thinking is that the Mr Sawdust table with its laminated steel supports will be pretty bulletproof, as will the unistrut frame, so the only issue will be getting the table levels correct to the arm, the four bolt solution shopuld make this infinitely and accurately adjustable. Ok, so far so good, but I can't get my head round quite how to set up the allen headed bolts the unistrut and the nut that somehow ness to be fixed to the underside of the unistrust to allow the jacking action UP AND DOWN WITH NO BACKLASH. I am sure any half decent engineers out there are LOL right now but I am just a poor woodworking hobbyist and I'm stuck! Oh yes, and I am going to put screw adjsuters on the legs of which ever stand I use so that I can trim the whole thing to be level with the fixed benches I use as the in and outfeed tables. All helpul suggestions, comments, ideas or signposts gratefully received, Thanks

Back