Letter Carving Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Would like some help.

Have bought the Chris Pye book and found it very good. I was just wondering if printing out the letters from my laser printer and sticking them onto a board is the way to go.

Problem is there are so many fonts to chose from I am a bit bewildered.

Before I start at the beginning, is anyone able to steer me towards a font and size that would be good for a total beginner.

Mick

Mick,
I can't find the link at the moment, to my carved name board, but that is certainly they way I did it, and would again.
Size is a matter of from how far away the letters need to be read, long path or imediately in front of the board. The same goes for the font really if it cannot be read, easily, then for me there is little point. I think I used one called Celtic, I could well be wrong. The only other advice I would give is that not all layout programs allow the idividual letter spacings to be changed. Sometimes this is essential, especially if the leading character is a different size to the rest.

Have fun,

xy

Hi Mick
What xy said!

Not sure I would stick letters to the timber but another method I've used is to transfer from the print with good old fashioned carbon paper. Works a treat.

I have a useful publication on pdf. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Bob

I haven't tried letter-cutting (yet!) but I did stick a template to a piece of wood when making a saw-handle recently, using spray adhesive. From that experience, I'd agree with Lons - don't do it. The template stuck fine, but cleaning it off later was not easy. Sandpaper just clogged. A cabinet scraper worked best in the end, but the glue-stains went quite deep. I've not tried the carbon paper method, but I sure will next time....

I agree about the glue, I seem to remember using Scotch glue, fairly thin. Carbon paper sounds good, the last I bought was from Staples. Fortunately the assistant new what I was talking about, pick an older member of staff. :)

xy

This is my experience

DCP_2268.jpg

DCP_2280.jpg

DCP_2279.jpg

Works a treat

Stick down (I either use superglue or if more time PVA) then after carving scrape off with a cabinet scraper I used a stanley 80

katellwood

Those letters look really crisp and perfect, it was looking at your original thread and others that made me decide I have to try it.

Just need to find the time to practice.

Mick

MickCheese":1ou3uwsf said:
Would like some help.

Have bought the Chris Pye book and found it very good. I was just wondering if printing out the letters from my laser printer and sticking them onto a board is the way to go.

Before I start at the beginning, is anyone able to steer me towards a font and size that would be good for a total beginner.

Mick

The Chris Pye book (very good, as you say) appears to pre date laser printers, since he doesn't even tell you NOT to do it, but he does mention Letra Set.

The only down side I can see to a glued down drawing is that it prevents you reading the grain pattern for the cuts. Perhaps (thinking aloud) a diagram on overhead sheets (mylar) would be ideal?

BugBear

MickCheese":2a31qt78 said:
Would like some help.

Mick

Sometimes the obvious is the way to go. For a beginner (that includes me), either "Roman", or something derived from "Roman" like "Felix Titling" or "Perpetua" make "carving friendly" letters. In my very limited experience I have just played around with the letters in MS Word, using something reasonably large like 160 point, and then on the "font tab" going to "effects" and ticking "Outline" so that you get an image of the outline of the letter rather than a solid figure. I don't like sticking the paper to the wood for the reasons already mentioned, but copy it using carbon paper. You'll also need to hand draw the ends of the serifs to remove the square look that the computer printed letters give you.

katellwood":c661fbgp said:
This is my experience

DCP_2268.jpg

DCP_2280.jpg

DCP_2279.jpg

Works a treat

Stick down (I either use superglue or if more time PVA) then after carving scrape off with a cabinet scraper I used a stanley 80

Looks great! =D> But instead of "KLT" show us "QRS"! #-o

Just saw this and decided to play around with Word on my laptop to see what fonts I could find etc. I can find most of the fonts that Roger M suggested but not the size of 160, the largest available seems to be 72. This seems to be too small. No doubt there is a way around this but I cannot work it out - any suggestions please?

Charlie,

On the version of word that I have at work, next to the font box is the drop down size box. As you say, it ges to 72. Next to that is an increase text size button with an "A" and a tiny up arrow. This makes the text bigger. If you keep pressing it, it will go larger than the 72.

HTH
Mark

custard":3nl2ilc6 said:
katellwood":3nl2ilc6 said:
This is my experience

DCP_2268.jpg

DCP_2280.jpg

DCP_2279.jpg

Works a treat

Looks great! =D> But instead of "KLT" show us "QRS"! #-o

Can't show you Q or S

but how about this (however in my experience J can be the most challenging)

DCP_2218.jpg

Easier than glueing it on - just print your chosen font (I like Calibri but sometimes use a serfed font like Times New Roman) onto sticky labels - then cut out the lettering with a scalpel and then carve your letters. Works a treat
Regards from Oxford
Mark

Back