Lets talk lawn mowers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't have to do anything to mine - it was originally a hard surface of infertile limestone chippings (ex chapel school playground) which over the years had been invaded and just grass, nettles etc. Just mowed it for a few years and everything in the "lawn" is self set. Low fertility is key - and learning to like dandelions!
The soil is only about 2" deep and very well drained.
You were lucky to have less fertile soil so the grass did not outcompete the wild flowers.

For those with more fertile soils, sow some Yellow Rattle - it is a parasite on grass that will weaken it.

We had some lovely wild flower areas here - until the council decided to "tidy it up" - now it is just a few brown clumps of grass. They did not even give it enough time for the seeds to dry out and fall. Grrrr.

Save yourself a lot of effort with just 3 cuts a year!
Here's typical snap of my no-mow May lawn, before it was mowed last week. A highish cut and take cuttings off to reduce fertility. It'll all grow back.
Full of self set wild flowers, looks good, bees love it.
Dandelions, Clover, lesser stitchwort, eggs n bacon, ragwort (for the cinnabar moths). plantain, knapweed, buttercups, daisies, black medick, pig nut, lots of moss (very nice underfoot), many others.
Easily identified if you google "lawn weeds"

View attachment 138055

I would have to cut that to tidy it up, sorry!

I would have to cut that to tidy it up, sorry!
One half way measure is just to mow narrow paths through and leave large sectors to run a bit wild. It works really well and people (and dogs!) tend to use them, leaving the flowery bits un-trampled.
Doesn't take long to get to like it and you find yourself really pleased to see dandelions all bright and early in the spring, followed by celandine, buttercups and so on!
Helps to take an active interest and crawl about identifying tiny little flowers like Black Medick which you've never ever noticed in a lifetime.

On top of which there is the petrolhead with a ride-on mower who drives along the roadside verges about a mile either side of his entrance, shaving off any flower which dares to show its head. Including the verge outside my house which I'd just sown and planted with a wildflower mix. Crazy, but he clearly believes pumping out petrol fumes is a public service.

(Get some help and) 'install' a decorative (v.heavy) stone or two inline with his house, on your bit. Might slow him down.
Or just ask him politely not to?

(Get some help and) 'install' a decorative (v.heavy) stone or two inline with his house, on your bit. Might slow him down.
Or just ask him politely not to?
Good thoughts. For the time being, a notice saying "Planted wild flowers, do not mow" did get him to come and apologise for destroying things, but suggestion that a bit less mowing would do no harm had no effect whatsoever. As someone mentioned in another thread "It's not easy being green".

@flying haggis has the right idea, nature does not like these prestine mowed lawns that are cut to soil level with a hint of green. We leave our grass alone doing what @Jacob does by mowing paths through it just to show it is not a neglected wasteland and at the moment it is covered in heather with swarms of bee's collecting the nectar.

@flying haggis has the right idea, nature does not like these prestine mowed lawns that are cut to soil level with a hint of green. We leave our grass alone doing what @Jacob does by mowing paths through it just to show it is not a neglected wasteland and at the moment it is covered in heather with swarms of bee's collecting the nectar.
Thats early for heather! Must be climate change? :unsure:

Brilliant. Well done Jacob.
I've been vainly trying to persuade our local community council to adopt a similar approach, but they have a "suburban garden" mindset which insists communal grass must be clipped to 20mm every week and flowers must be planted in regular lines in separate beds. Looks totally out of place in a small, very rural village, THEN they complain it's too much work! On top of which there is the petrolhead with a ride-on mower who drives along the roadside verges about a mile either side of his entrance, shaving off any flower which dares to show its head. Including the verge outside my house which I'd just sown and planted with a wildflower mix. Crazy, but he clearly believes pumping out petrol fumes is a public service.
I would be furious if someone took it upon themselves to cut the grass on my property so tell your rogue verge mower if he cuts your verge again you will report him to the police for using an unregistered vehicle on the highway. Oh and leave a couple of engineering bricks in the long grass.....

One half way measure is just to mow narrow paths through and leave large sectors to run a bit wild. It works really well and people (and dogs!) tend to use them, leaving the flowery bits un-trampled.
Doesn't take long to get to like it and you find yourself really pleased to see dandelions all bright and early in the spring, followed by celandine, buttercups and so on!
Helps to take an active interest and crawl about identifying tiny little flowers like Black Medick which you've never ever noticed in a lifetime.
We do this, let nature do whatever & cut narrow paths. But, how do you cut the grass in the autumn at the end of the growing season? My wife wants me to leave it until the seeds have been taken by wildlife, but by then the long grasses are fallen low to the ground and matted. Cutting it is really hard. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:
To stop the cowslips getting mown on the grass verge one householder hammers about 6 hazel twigs around each clump, then when the kids come home from school they decorate them with wool. Seems to be very effective as all of the contractors (so far) have mown round them.

This is my mower and tractor, it makes life easier......
3666306D-F1C2-4ACE-AF68-F8DDCFFDD558.jpeg
525B45B2-2E74-4274-99D0-DE40167F8053.jpeg
0409A450-0D6E-495C-933F-E64DA4B74E24.jpeg

We do this, let nature do whatever & cut narrow paths. But, how do you cut the grass in the autumn at the end of the growing season? My wife wants me to leave it until the seeds have been taken by wildlife, but by then the long grasses are fallen low to the ground and matted. Cutting it is really hard. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Not easy to do by hand.

Depending upon where you live in Devon and what access is like, you might be able to find a contractor who will cut your paths for you when he or she has some spare time.

Alternatively, you might be able to hire a brush cutter lawn mower and do it yourself. You may even be able to buy one, possibly an ex-rental, at season end.

You could also buy a petrol strimmer/brush cutter - this is a cheaper solution but harder work.

If you have a lot of cutting to do, unrestricted access, and the cash to invest appropriately, you could invest in a tractor and flail mower. You can cut the paths as often as you want and the remainder as and when your wife lets you! ;)

Thanks
A strimmer. Buy / borrow one. Once the seeds are spread, even 'flattened' grass can be cut with patience (if it's not too large an area.)

Thanks
https://www.rhs.org.uk/lawns/wildflower-meadow-maintenanceAlso take off all the cuttings as you mow - raking them up is a PITA
I did mine last week but left a few clumps with knapweed (not flowered yet) and Ragwort (for the cinnabar moths - one seen so far, more expected daily)

Last edited:
In the field at the end of our garden the farmer used to leave a ~15m wide strip adjacent to the boundary un-ploughed I presume because of an overhead high voltage line used to feed a small plot of rental offices down the road, and being largely untouched it grew all sorts of wild flowers over the years however some time ago it got over-run by some variety of almost elephant like grassses whose sole object in life was to grow about a metre high and throw up massive head of seeds. Being somewhat open these grasses soon started to invade any available spot in my garden so I bought off the 'bay an ex council brush cutter - a Sthil FS400 complete with shoulder harness for not a lot of money and that made clearing mine and my neighbours patch super easy!
Move forward 10y and now the problem has gone away courtesy of the Gov mandates to build more housing - a lot of the farmland around here is actually owned by the Crown Estate and only leased so rich pickings for them.
TBH this seems to affect the whole of Southern England even as far afield as South Oxford - Didcot way when I last visited.
Progress of sorts I suppose...

Latest posts

Back